Diving in ABC islands.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, my gfriend is proposing me to go to ABC islands after visiting some south latin american country and she's not a diver but I am, big dilemna. She will most certainly go for the beach, but me laying on a beach doing nothing not my thing .... at all. And I noticed that scuba diving's price is more or less the same almost evwhere in carribeans, pretty expensive though after having done south-east LOL for many years. So, my question is, is the diving worth it on ABC islands (Curaçao, Bonaire, Aruba and some other islands nearby) or is really nothing special beside warm, clear water ? I read that the chance of seeing sharks is really low, so I am really wondering what should I really expect to make me WOW ... Ok, I know, after Indonesia, Galapagos etc .... I doubt it will be as majectic, is that correct ?
Because paying 60 - 80$ for one tank I better see something really amazing.
Any other islands in the carrribean islands where diving would be much cheaper with really good diving ? I am not talking bout the Bahamas though.
Thanks for the help.

I have done Bonaire, great thing is the conveniance factor, so many options for shore dives and they are very easy to get to. Lots of cool fish species and wrecks, definitely something for everyone depending on what you like. Cheaper/Expensive is all subjective, you get exceptional value for the amount of diving you could do within limited time, minimal travel time to dive spots, you could dive every morning and be back easily before noon, and spend the rest of the day with the gf, at least thats what i did:)

Go to Bonaire. Buy a 6 day unlimited shore diving package for $210. Do 4 dives a day. That's about $9 per tank.

I did all three islands on one vacation with my non-diving wife. What follows is a summary that may or may not be helpful.

Aruba has some very nice beaches and mediocre but passable diving. The resorts are the best of the three islands, too. Our stay there was tainted by the fact that it was a couple weeks after the killing of Natalie Holloway, so the island was in a bit of a stir, but it should be your choice if you are willing to do the mediocre diving while she enjoys the beach.

Bonaire was the opposite--very nice diving with nearly no nice beaches. They were mostly composed of coral rubble. The city is not the greatest place to hang out.

Curacao was in-between. It has a nice, colorful capital city, reminiscent of cities in Holland. The reefs are very much like Bonaire's, so you can have great diving. It also has some very nice beaches, ranging from deserted sand beaches to beaches with all the amenities. In Bonaire, you drive along the long rubble beach, looking at little signs telling you the names of dive sites along the way. In Curacao, most of the shore is cliff, with some openings to beaches. The road is inland, with signs telling you how to get to those beaches. You can dive off of any of them.

Bonaire and Curacao are worth the cost for diving. Aruba not so much from my experience. Your GF would probably like the beaches more in Curacao and Aruba compared to Bonaire. Curacao shore dive entries/exits, with shallow sloping sandy beaches, many in sheltered coves, are lot easier and nicer than in Bonaire. We spent 30 days in Curacao a couple years ago, and my wife accompanied me to shore diving sites with The Dive Bus. She snorkeled off the beach, or just enjoyed the sandy beach and calm water while I did my two tank dives. I don't think you can go wrong with Curacao for both of you.

My wife is a non diver also.
Curacao is the best option for a diver/non diver vacation.
You will be very happy with the diving and there is a lot to see & do as well as good beaches for your girlfriend.

I would scratch Bonaire because your girlfriend will be bored. Aruba has great beaches but the diving is kind of boring. However, you can do a two tank in the morning and be back by lunch and have the whole rest of the day for the beach and other things. I check the schedule and don't dive on days when a cruise ship is in port. The ship divers need to be picked up and fitted which delays everything and then the sites chosen will be super boring. LOL Aruba also has stuff to do at night and plenty of restaurants. I have never been to Curacao but that is my experience with the A and the B.

Thanks for those infos, but in general, how were the divings, lots of action UW or was just corals with some small fish and this and that ? I am a sucker for seeing big stuff UW and lots of action like Komodo, Raja-ampat, sipadan island etc .. etc ... ok ok I am perhaps asking for too much now I know LOL.
And I do guess that UW will be like in Egypt and some places in Thailand the only thing you will see are hordes of divers, right 'cause this is really what I want to avoid.

QUOTE="boulderjohn, post: 10394430, member: 32540"]
I did all three islands on one vacation with my non-diving wife. What follows is a summary that may or may not be helpful.

Aruba has some very nice beaches and mediocre but passable diving. The resorts are the best of the three islands, too. Our stay there was tainted by the fact that it was a couple weeks after the killing of Natalie Holloway, so the island was in a bit of a stir, but it should be your choice if you are willing to do the mediocre diving while she enjoys the beach.

Bonaire was the opposite--very nice diving with nearly no nice beaches. They were mostly composed of coral rubble. The city is not the greatest place to hang out.

Curacao was in-between. It has a nice, colorful capital city, reminiscent of cities in Holland. The reefs are very much like Bonaire's, so you can have great diving. It also has some very nice beaches, ranging from deserted sand beaches to beaches with all the amenities. In Bonaire, you drive along the long rubble beach, looking at little signs telling you the names of dive sites along the way. In Curacao, most of the shore is cliff, with some openings to beaches. The road is inland, with signs telling you how to get to those beaches. You can dive off of any of them.
[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom