Diving ideas for march/april near Brisbane or elsewhere for sharks/manta/seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outpost31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm looking for a couple of days diving to experience something special in late march/early april.
Several years ago I swam with Whale Sharks @ ningaloo and did my AOW @ GBR and dived the Yongala.
I'll be flying into Brisbane to see family so I've been looking into dives around there but I'm open to flying to another part of Oz on a limited budget. I initially considered returning to Coral Bay for Whale sharks but it's a long distance to travel and the price has doubled since i was last there so i'm looking into other options.

I'm interested in diving with/photographing sharks, mantas, seals and lots of nudis.
So far, I've been looking at:

Mantas at Stradbroke Island with Manta lodge
Great White cage/seals with Calypso Star in Port Lincoln
Seals/Sea dragons at Kangaroo Island

As I've never dived with a great white or interacted with seals, and always wanted to, I'm leaning towards that option but I am open to other ideas. If you have any other options, you've done any of the above or work for a company that offers these trips I would appreciate any help/comments/recommendations please.
many thanks SB'ers
Chris

Don't miss the grey nurse sharks near Brisbane, rainbow beach is close up north : Wolfrock is a great dive. Also you could head south to South West Rocks, the australian use to say that's the best place to dive with them.
26.JPG 27.JPG 29.JPG
I had a fantastic dive with seals in cristal clear watter at Montague island near Narooma.
R0010980.jpg R0010952.JPG R00109811.JPG

Thanks Air One, I'll add that to my list of possibles, nice photos too btw!

I think i'll change my dates as a bit of research suggests Mar/apr isn't too good for the GWS, May seems a better month to go.
cheers mate!

Hi Chris,

On the basis of your stated time and budget constraints, I offer the following comments:

Great White cage/seals with Calypso Star in Port Lincoln - I would look at a 1 day trip. There is no guarantee that you will see a GWS. I have been told about trips of 5 days duration where no GWS showed up despite aggressive berleying. BTW, I have been told that the best time for GWS sightings is between May and November. f you had not yet dived with less dangerous sharks, you should first consider the opportunities on the Australian east coast.

Seals/Sea dragons at Kangaroo Island (KI) - I would not recommend KI in this particular instance for the following main reasons. While seals are relatively common in South Australia, there are only a few spots where sightings are reliable and where the seals are accustomed to interacting with divers. Two well-known sites are Hopkins Island (in Spencer Gulf) and Baird Bay (on the Great Australian Bight coast). While I have encountered seals when diving KI, I personally do not know of any reliable sites on KI. BTW, snorkelling with the seals at Hopkins Island is offered by most of the GWS tour operators. Leafy Sea Dragons - you can see these fish at a number of sites within 2-3 hours drive from Adelaide - most Adelaide dive centres offer dedicated day trips to such sites.

Hi diver257a,

Cheers for the helpful info. Yeah, I'm gonna change my dates to May for a better chance to see them. So far, I've dived with Caribbean Reef, Lemons, Bulls and Tiger sharks so I'm ready for those cute 'n' cuddly whites! ;-p

Thanks for the heads up on KI. It'll be better to do the GWS and seals with the same company so I'm gonna have a look at Hopkins Island. In regards to doing a couple of dives for Sea Dragons and Nudis can you recommend the best sites/companies I can look into please?

Many thanks for you help!

First, have a read of the following thread regarding Leafy Sea Dragons- http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/au...future-australia-diving-trip.html#post5753863. Diving in South Australia is principally determined by wind direction & intensity - so, the sites will be selected on the day.

Second, as you will be probably staying in the Adelaide CDB or near to the Airport, I would suggest talk to one of the following businesses as these are relatively easy to get to via public transport and these are relatively close to visitor accommodation: Adelaide Scuba (Glenelg), Divers Delight (St. Peter’s) or Divers Service (Welland). Also, you should ask if it is possible to be picked up from your place of stay by one of the store’s staff.

Third - nudibranches - the many local sites are good for these. Edithburgh jetty is a good site IMO. Suggest you ask the dive stores for their suggestions.

Once again thanks for the good advice, I've sent off emails to several companies to get info, Edithburgh & Rapid Jetty looks good to me but I'll see what comes back.

I appreciate your help mate.

@bracko...Those bastards lol..cheers mate!

Update: Here's what I'm looking to do in May..

Fly into Ade, fly to Port Lincoln, do the GWS cage trip
Swim with the seals, fly back to Ade
2 dive Leafy Sea Dragon Tour @ Rapid Jetty and possibly do a night dive
2 dives @ Edithburgh Jetty and possibly a night dive (cheap travel suggestions?)
1 day dive @ Noarlunga Jetty and possibly a night dive to look for Blue Ringed Octopus
Decomp day, maybe go to the zoo?
Fly to Brisbane

Any suggestions for cheap as chips accommodation, looking for a clean and safe room for my equip?
Any other comments or suggestions welcome
Many Thanks!

If you're going to be in Brisbane anyway I'd suggest having a talk to Scuba Diving Brisbane, PADI Courses, Scuba Diving Gear Brisbane, Dive Brisbane. They run a boat out to Stradbroke Island most days. If you specify you want to see mantas they may take you to a spot called manta ray bommie. We have dived with about four at once out there in the past. It's heaps easier dealing with them instead of having to make your own way over to the island and diving with manta lodge.

Wolf Rock Dive - Grey Nurse Sharks|Scuba Diving|Commercial Diving|Charters|Training|Equipment - Welcome up north gets Grey Nurse sharks all year round I think (haven't got there myself yet)

At Bryon Bay (about 2hrs south) Welcome - Sundive Scuba Diving Dive Byron Bay might have Grey Nurse in May but is a really nice town and has some great diving.

One hour north at Mooloolaba you can also dive the Ex-HAMS Brisbane. Diving Australia - Learn to Dive - Scuba Diving Australia | Scuba World runs a good shop and nice boat

There's lots of great diving around Brissy but if I had to choose only one it would be Byron bay. Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom