Diving Galapagos in late Sep Wet or Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverLS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been told by the coordinator of the trip to dive dry so repetitive diving wouldn't make me cold. Two of my Divemaster friends told me dive wet - no drag.

I'm also a photographer so there is a LOT going on with a dry suit.

To give an idea of what I can stand, I used to dive the S. Cal boats in late summer and fall with a 6mil one piece. I was fine. Then one April on a three day trip, first day Catalina - fine, second day Santa Barbara, fine, third day Anacapa, took the giant stride and headed for the back to re-board. I froze. That's when I bought the drysuit.

So, I can stand to the mid 60s with a wet suit. I'm diving the Galapagos 9/28-10/4, the start of the end of the "cold" period.

If anyone has been there, what would you recommend, wet or dry?

My wife and I are complete "warm water wussies". We were in Galapagos last October on Deep Blue (Photos: http://debersole.com/layout/0001/gallery_view.cfm?g=71)
and dove with 7mm wetsuits and 3mm hooded vests underneath. I was never cold. In fact, up north at Wolf and Darwin I just wore the 7mm without the vest and with a thin hood as the water temp was 71 degrees. We made up to three dives per day. I never missed a dive and was never cold. So, the "wus" from Florida votes for a wetsuit!

Very glad to get that information. I'm going to dive wet. That also means less weigt and less $$ out there in the luggage checked game.

I was there for a couple of weeks last August, a little earlier than you were planning to go. At Wolf and Darwin, where we spent most of our time, water temperatures were in the mid-70's (73-77, if I recall correctly). On the other hand, at Punta Vincente Roca, on the far western side of the archipeligo, it was more like 60. I dove with a one-piece 7 mm suit and was perfectly comfortable at Wolf and Darwin, but would have much preferred to be dry at PVR.

Hope this helps.

I checked my log book. At San Cristobal and North Seymour we had water temps of 58-60 degrees so pretty similar to tterry1's trip. I think it's up to your comfort level. With the hooded vest and a 7mm suit, I never felt the need to dive dry.

Was just there a few days ago.

a 5 mil farmer john with a hood was fine for early July 06. But, I think they were experiencing warmer than normal temperatures this week. Also note that some islands are warmer than others due to various current effects.

There are several ways you can approach this question:

my experience: 5 mil rented wetsuit plus a Henderson 5/3 hood was just fine for two dives. Others who wore thinner hoods were cold by the end of the 2nd dive. I had to cut a dive short due to cold because in one of my early dives I didn't wear my hood (I also think I got sick from this dive, too).

Divemasters: the divemasters of the shop I was with all wore thick semidry suits. The Mares Isotherm was quite common.

The charter operator: he would seem to know what he's talking about, yes?

Your DM buddies: have they ever gone to the Galapagos?

My recommendation: if you want to be sure, bring the drysuit. I'm not going back there without one, although that's because I'm going to be purchasing one to dive here in VA and want minimize my need to rent other people's suits. If you want to go wet, be sure to get a thick, quality hood.

Be sure to bring gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom