Diving from Bang Tao, Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairyBasset

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all!

I will be staying in a villa in Bang Tao Beach, Phuket, over Xmas. Want to do lots of diving and wondered if anyone could suggest some good dive shops and dive sites nearby.

This is the information I was given about diving from Bang Tao from a friendly helper on TripAdvisor: "There used to be a site with some nice plan wrecks at Bang Tao beach, but these got washed away. That means that the dive sites will be the normal dive sites from Phuket like Racha Islands and Shark Point area, with departure from Chalong Pier. Chalong is about 45 minutes drive from Bang Tao".

This person also told me that the dive shops at Bang Tao beach were not very good or very professional.

Is this true?! I don't mind making an effort... but this sounds pretty drastic!

I decided it was a good idea to also ask you guys, who for sure have stacks of additional information about all things scuba on Phuket!

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
:help:

Last edited:
I will be staying in a villa in Bang Tao Beach, Phuket, over Xmas. Want to do lots of diving ...

The main divesite in the Bangtao area is a small rocky islet (Koh Wae) which offers ok but not spectacular reef diving.
Apparently most of the Underwater Squadron plane/chopper wrecks have "disappeared" so I do not think there will be much to look at/dive on anymore at that particular site.
Diving in Bangtao is mostly done from longtail boats and divesites are only minutes away from shore.

If you want to do "lots of diving" as you say you do I can recommend you to do two things:
1: Go on a Liveaboard to the Similan Islands/Richelieu Rock. You'll have a blast and will visit some of the best divesites Thailand has to offer.
2: If a liveaboard is out of the question then join regular daytrip divetours to SharkPoint, Phi-Phi Island, Racha Noi and Racha Yai. (and maybe even to Hin Daeng. Hin Muang and the Similan Islands)

I do personally have no experience with the Bangtao area dive centers but find it unlikely that all of them would be "unprofessional" or "bad".

Thanks for the info all!
I had a fantastic time on a liveaboard in the Similans a few years ago, but thats out of the question this time.
If I want to dive some of those other sites, is there an operator offering those trips out of Bang Tao or are all the departures from Chalong Pier? If I go from Chalong, does anyone have any recommendations of good DCs to go with?
Thanks!

If I want to dive some of those other sites, is there an operator offering those trips out of Bang Tao or are all the departures from Chalong Pier? If I go from Chalong, does anyone have any recommendations of good DCs to go with?
Thanks!

Day trips to SharkPoint, King Cruiser, the Racha Islands and Phi-Phi all leave from Ao Chalong.

In the Laguna Beach Resort in Bang Tao is a DC from Euro Divers. They do have their own dayboat (old Fantasea Divers daytrip boat) and you may be able to book with them. They provide transfers from the LBR back and forth to Ao Chalong by minibus.

In Ao Chalong are quite a few DC's. Sea-bees is one of the better ones with a nice daytrip boat and great food!

Has anyone dived with H2O, which seem to be located up near Bang Tao and service the hotels up there? They seem to do local dives plus they have day trips to Similan and others...

Do you know if their boat trips also go from Ao Chalong, or somewhere closer to Bang Tao?

If I were you I would head out to Ko Phi Phi. Stay on the Northeast(I believe) point by the Holiday inn. There is a small sea gypsy village located at the middle of that beach. Dive with the Japanese Guide(name currently eludes me) and eat at Jasmine's Bar right next store and have a beer with Peter. He is also a great source for local dive info. Some of the greatest chicken wings in the world.

You won't regret it.

But are his chicken wings as good as the ones in Calientes in San Pedro, Ambergris, Belize...? Probably impossible!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom