Diving From an Inflatable Raft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addison Snyder

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone any tips or experiences diving from a cheap-ish inflatable boat (sub-$1000)? Girlfriend wants to go fishing and I'm considering shore diving off one (sidemount, probably hand up tanks). Is this feasible? What should I watch for? I'm currently looking at an Intex Mariner (when they become available/cheap after the pandemic). Tons of videos of people modding them to be a poor man's fancyboat. Portability is a requirement.

.jpeg

I used to have a cheap 14-foot Saturn inflatable with an aluminum floor that could be folded up to fit in a station wagon and inflated with a scuba tank at the shoreline. I think I paid $2k for it. We were able to fix a 15hp Honda outboard to it which moved it wonderfully. Note: you WILL want to put an outboard on it. It was great in many ways. The fact that it was often put away wet meant that its lifetime was severely reduced. The seams started to go after only a couple of years. Even with a deflated chamber, it would still float for the ride home, but performance and stability were greatly reduced. It fit 4 divers with 2 tanks apiece, but this slowed it down to a barge's pace. Two divers was ideal. It doesn't look like the model you have picked out has the ability to take a motor, which you will definitely want if you are trying to go 6 miles to a dive site.

I own a Zodiac MK2 compact (3.80 m, fully inflatable including the keel). That is the technology which made Zodiac so popular. Here is it:
Zodiac-Classic-MK2__84632.1465498806.jpg

I use it with a small 360-cc twin cylinder Evinrude vintage outboard engine, delivering 20 HP. Paid 1000 eur for the Zodiac (used) and other 1000 euros for the engine (very used, but still perfect. Evinrudes last forever...).
All stays well inside the trunk of my car (Volvo XC-90), together with complete diving equipment for 2. This boat is good for 4 people (I, my wife and our two sons).
We managed to use it also in quite rough sea, and used it for our holidays in Sardinia for years.

It doesn't look like the model you have picked out has the ability to take a motor, which you will definitely want if you are trying to go 6 miles to a dive site.
It does have an option, not sure I'd be able to put a 15hp on it, but if I could get a mile or two offshore on calm-ish waters that'd be amazing.
https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Trolling-Motor-Inflatable-Boats/dp/B005QIB7K8

I don't have any experience taking boats out to sea. I'd plan to do so along the florida coast. Any guides for noobs you could recommend?

It does have an option, not sure I'd be able to put a 15hp on it, but if I could get a mile or two offshore on calm-ish waters that'd be amazing.

I don't have any experience taking boats out to sea. I'd plan to do so along the florida coast. Any guides for noobs you could recommend?
One or two miles offshore on that inflatable is criminal.
My Zodiac, which is a much more capable boat, is legally usable only up to 500m from shore.
For going further away from the coast you need a rigid body inflatable, a 40 HP engine and complete safety equipment aboard...

That boat with a 2.5hp is not going to work with dive gear. Unless you're just going a couple hundred yards from the ramp or beach. Miles out in the ocean? no way

Hi Addison,
Before buying a boat and motor can I suggest doing a couple of courses on boat handling and seamanship, and spend some time hanging around boat ramps looking at different types of boats. I am not a local but I believe the Coast Guard Auxiliary or US Powerboat association may be good spots to start.

From a quick look at the Intex web site you are going to be limited to a 3.5 hp motor, which means you will not be moving very quickly.

You also need to think about what safety equipment you need to carry for the area you are operating in, how much it will cost and how you will stow it on the boat.

Personally I think the sort of boat you are looking at is better suited for really calm water.

What he said. I love diving from RIBs, but that is not a RIB. Please do not lose clear sight of land if you do choose to continue with that style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom