Diving Equipment Technician

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biczmusic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone.

First off all sorry if that’s a repeat, so feel free to point me to the right thread if I’m to blind to find it myself.
Because of the corona virus my industry completely shut down and left me out of work. And frankly I don’t see it picking up anytime soon (I’m sound engineer).
So I made a decision to search for other options, to develop another carrier - but I’m picky and there’s not much I want to do.

But I’m technically skilled person and very hobbyly passionate diver so I wanted to go that direction.

My simple question is - how and where do I become a service tech for the diving equipment?
It seems I’m not very good at google search as I don’t really find any information useful to me there, hence I’m asking your wise brains.

Thanks.

P.s. I’m based in Germany (Berlin)

In was trained to service Scubapro regulators at the Scubapro factory where they are built, here in Italy at Casarza Ligure (near Genoa).
Usually only people already working for a diving shop is admitted, they made an exception for me.
However that is a job which is probably experiencing a deeper crisis than sound engineering.
I am a sound engineer too, and during the lockdown I had A LOT of requests of technical consultancy, as suddenly teleconferencing and remote learning systems became very important and useful during the lockdown, and most systems where installed by people only knowing about video, and ignoring audio. The sound is generally horrible and there is a lot of work installing proper microphones, loudspeakers, and soundproofing the rooms employed. So I warmly suggest you to stay in the field of technical audio, focusing on teleconferencing systems and facilities for recording lessons, tutorials and other material to be transmitted over the internet.
Just being able to measure STI (the Speech Transmission Index), of course having the required hardware and software, revealed to be very profitful for diagnosing problems over telecommunication systems...
I think that a sound engineer is one of the few professional who actually can benefit from the switch to "smart working" at home and "remote learning" at schools and universities...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom