Diving Effects on Paralyzed Study...are there others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
SB,

I have been trying to follow along with a story I read earlier this month in regards to a study sponsored in part by Cody Unser who earned her Open Water Certificate a couple of years after being struck with a debilitating spinal cord disease while in her early youth. The study had impressive “Preliminary” where it appears that diving in an underwater atmosphere might have positive effects on a person’s paralyses.

Unser daughter tests the waters - San Antonio Express-News

Paralyzed Veterans Partners with Cody Unser Foundation for Scuba Research - Paralyzed Veterans of America

http://www.padi.com/scuba/news-events/default.aspx?id=17810

In 1989 I had an injury to my neck and back and was medically discharged from the U.S. Army. In 2007, I earned my OW and have since earned my AW, Rescue Diver and Master Scuba Diver’s ratings from PADI. Like in the article above from the Paralyzed Veterans of America, I too seem to have less pain after my dives. Now it could be increase of endorphins in my body or psychological…but I do feel better.

Does anyone know of any other articles on this or similar subject matter? Just curious what is out there…

~Michael~

Oldbear,
The study you mentioned hasn't been published any place that I could find so it's difficult to draw conclusions from. It's also hard to quantify the reasons for the relief you, and the divers in the study, experienced with diving. The effects of gravity are essentially negated in the water, so it's possible that the change in weight distribution and stress on the spine brought about some improvement. There has been some work done on hyperbaric oxygen and spinal cord injury, but there's no solid evidence that it's effective.
Best regards,
DDM

...The effects of gravity are essentially negated in the water, so it's possible that the change in weight distribution and stress on the spine brought about some improvement...DDM

DDM,

Thanks for the reply. As that I currently have a BMI of 39 - 40, I would definantely give credence to relief of stress due to weightlessness.

I will keep my eyes open to the literature. As I get older I am aware how my earlier injuries could impact me...that and the excess weight (which I am working on).

~ME~

Agree completely about the relief of stress.

When I wear a single, I wear a weight belt. With the BC holding me up, the weight belt provides gentle traction. I have gone in with a pinch, with buttock and calf sciatica symptoms, and come out with just an ache. Since then, 'hanging out' at the pool in a bc and weight belt is part of my first response to an incident.

The swimming exercise also strengthens the muscles in my lower back, and were prescribed by my neurologist.

I'm with Jax. It isn't scientific at all, but I have had several episodes where, in carrying gear or trying to get up from something, I've twisted wrong and gotten spasms in my back. From LONG experience with this, I know that that means two or three days of pain and eventually a chiropractor's visit to get it cleared up. But when I have simply ignored it and gone diving anyway, by the time I get out of the water, the pain is GONE. Something about diving seems to help. (BTW, ignoring it and going on with normal activities in other areas of my life does not have the same effect.)

Of course, neither Jax's story nor mine has anything to do with neurologic function in relation to diving, as the original story posted here did.

If you want to search on what's known about hyperbaric oxygen and spinal cord injuries, the Rubicon Research Repository is a great place to do that. (Link in my sig line.)

I had an accident in 2005 that resulted in permanent spinal cord damage. I was actually told I would never walk again and, among other problems, I am in pain 24/7. By 2009 I had worked myself up to the point that I could walk for short distances but still used a wheel chair or power chair for the majority of the time. Still feeling pain 24/7 In 2009 while on the Island of Kauai I tried scuba for the first time in the resort pool. I loved that experience and signed up to get OW certified (after getting releases from all my doctors). During my very first OW dive I found that the pain in my back, stomach, and left leg were began decreasing once I got down 14 or 15 feet, and continued to improve until I was at about 25 feet. At 25 feet and below I was nearly, but not quite, pain free. This phenomena has been consistent with every dive since then (83 total post cert dives now) and I believe that diving has also helped to improve the strength of my left leg. Since this discovery I have not only been diving but doing a lot of aqua-therapy in the pool. I have now progressed to the point that I have not used a wheel chair or power chair for about ten or eleven months. Although I am sure that the weightlessness is part of this equation, I am also convinced that the water pressure is also a significant factor.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom