Diving during COVID-19 - Possible Options in Ontario?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Mooradian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK - right now I have a lot of time - rare - and seemingly cannot dive anywhere. I DO NOT want to seem insensitive to the situation. Nor do I want to be careless with my health or anyone else’s. I would however think there would be some OK situations for - say - some shore diving. No need ( that I can see) for being in large gatherings. Two folks who’ve been properly isolating and have no symptoms should be able to safely dress, check each other’s rigs and dive together. If each has their own stage bottle there would not even be anything but the most remote possibility of even having to share air. Certainly a manageable risk. So - is anyone aware of any opportunities? Even the shore diving in Tobermory is currently unavailable. ( Although I’m told the ice is out). Anybody have any ideas?

hate to say it but im diving in about 3 weeks we are isolated by region normally , only 800 people in this area .....my compressor is working I have gear .....and work to do on my dock so as soon as the ice is gone (about 3 weeks I believe ) im in the water time to play with dpv s breather and a few things I haven't played with in a while 3 good lakes to dive with in 15 min drive .. I think im only one pumping air right now in ont

I'm guessing all the shore diving in the St Lawrence is closed? I wanted to dive the conestoga with clear viz this spring. We are quarantined locally and told to stay home unless necessary, dive shop is closed for tank fills, this making it impossible to go dive. You're lucky if you can get out and dive some.

I don't think so ben ....a buddy dove yesterday there......... but im sure it will be ......im probably diving from my own property when it all shuts down

I plan to do some solo diving in Lake Simcoe if the powers that be haven't shut down access to my usual locations. I don't want to carpool, and I can't really do a proper buddy check 2m apart, so I don't plan to do any buddy diving until the restrictions are relaxed. Then there's the whole idea of sharing air in the case of a problem.

I would consider diving with another solo diver if we can maintain the mandated distancing above water.

I'm just waiting for the ice to clear.

ice the scourge of Ontario (after the ice dive of course ) :mad:

Reactions: vam
vam/abnfrog,
I’m in Midland, ON. Dive solo here a fair bit. If anyone had anything interesting that is accessible and was welcome to me tagging along - at a safe distance - I’d be in. I have 4 tanks left ( combination of Nx and straight air) plus my stage so I’m good for few dives.

I'm in California rather than Ontario, and I also have two full tanks in my garage. In my mind I could probably make the argument that diving solo (or even with proper social distancing) is no different than someone going outside for a walk in the neighborhood or even on trails. But I believe that is following the "letter of the law" and not the spirit as one is to give people a break from being stuck indoors for a short period of time versus pursuing a recreational activity - especially if you have to drive to get there.

Our area was in the first group that ordered sheltering going on three weeks ago and it's hard to believe that with most people being at home there have still been fatal car accidents on the highways this week - of course drawing emergency and medical people needed elsewhere.

In northern Italy where my wife has relatives, and has been hit particularly hard, you cannot be outside at all without a written note as the streets are patrolled by the authorities. So no casual walks, etc.

There are probably many things that people could come up with would still walk that fine line, but that defeats the whole purpose, especially as now suggestions are that air transmissions may be possible other than from coughing, sneeezing, etc.. Maybe it would be best if everyone just sucks it up as best they can for a bit and does their part so that it doesn't have to come to the part of making restrictions like Italy.

I've done my normal winter (wet) shore diving, a very short drive which I've described elsewhere. Maybe see like one person walking their dog. Don't know what the better summer shore sites will be like as far as people around them, plus it's a longer drive (40 minutes). Have to play that by ear. But as long as the LDS stays open I could get air & continue with the boring winter sites.

I would love to get back in the water. Last dives I did where in March- seems like a lifetime ago.
Wiarton and Dave’s bay in tobey would be accessible shore dives. A Niagara river run would be possible.

but is it really worth it. There is really no medical back up for even simple non dcs type incidents.

This is the position paper of eubs. Which basically says don’t dive until after Covid.

http://www.eubs.org/wp-content/uplo...on-on-diving-and-COVID-19-26th-March-2020.pdf

j

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom