Diving down the coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cweg94

Registered
Reaction score
I am coming down to Bellingham in January to visit a friend. We are planning on going down to California to dive for lobsters and were looking for a few spots to dive along the way. We are hoping to get some scallops in Oregon but have no idea where to go. We also want to get some rockfish somewhere in Oregon or Washington. We should have either kayaks or a zodiak. I would appreciate if any could PM me with at least some general areas to look for.

Link is for Scuba Oregon's site map. Hope this helps

Oregon

There are quite a few accessible spots around Monterey and Carmel bays in California. Spearfishing won't be the best, but you will probably hit good visibility and there are sites in the bays that will be more protected than the coastal sites when seas are up. Spearfishing for rockfish and lingcod is open in California year round.

I was going to suggest Ocean Cove along the Sonoma Coast, but it's a private campground that's closed over the winter. Salt Point Park, just north of there, has good diving at Gerstle Cove (so I've heard). Stillwater Cove just south is another spot.

Noyo harbor in Ft. Bragg (stop at SubSurface Progression dive shop first to ask about sites), and Albion campground south of there, are possible access points with a kayak or inflatable, conditions permitting. There aren't all that many spots where access is close enough to the road - and not down a cliff - for shore entry or portable boat launch. There are other access spots around Ft. Bragg as well.

Lawson's Landing at the mouth of Tomales Bay is another option when conditions permit, and has camping.

Don't forget Ft. Ross in the north coast. Good diving and you an get a lot of Rock fish there.

Before you hit Sonoma County it can be well worth a stop in Mendocino County CA. With Kayaks Russian Gulch and Van Damme State parks are great places to dive and spear once you are out of the coves. Albion River is excellent as well. Albion often has better vis outside the cove and we usually do pretty well with scallops. Albion also has a tide sensitive launch ramp although with an inflatable you should be fine except maybe minus tides.

Sonoma County has good diving as well. Gerstle Cove, Stillwater Cove, Fort Ross, Timber Cove and Ocean Cove are all good spots to launch kayaks. Ocean Cove is probably the best bet for inflatables if you need a launch ramp.

Keep in mind there are MPA's and Gerstle Cove has been a "no take" inside the cove for a long time.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom