Diving Djibouti on the Lucy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sf8193

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi, I’m thinking If diving in Djibouti this upcoming January. has anyone went on the liveaboard trip with the Lucy? What are safety conditions like? Do I have to worry about pirates?

Hi there,

I wrote an article about diving in Djibouti earlier this year and talked about safety concerns. This should help and I've updated it with current travel advice:

Is it safe to visit Djibouti?
The U.S. State Department advises travelers to exercise normal precautions in Djibouti and there are no travel alerts as of 2nd December 2018. The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against all travel to the border with Eritrea (current as of 2nd December 2018). The border with Eritrea is, however, on the other side of the country from the departure point for liveaboard safaris from Djibouti Marina.

Liveaboard safaris visit three main dive areas in Djibouti, all within the Gulf of Tadjoura and heading north into the Red Sea. Liveaboard safaris do not cruise within the Gulf of Aden, to avoid any risk of piracy.

Djibouti has its own international airport, Djibouti Ambouli International Airport, and flights depart to and arrive from Paris, Istanbul, Dubai, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Madagascar.

Travelers should have yellow fever and typhoid vaccinations and consult with a medical professional before arrival, as malaria is a risk in Djibouti. Divers should check if their anti-malarial medication will cause problems for diving, such as dizziness and blurred vision.

The Lucy is a gorgeous vessel and you can check some guest reviews on our Lucy liveaboard page if you also want to do that. Enjoy planning your trip and let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Kathryn

Back
Top Bottom