Diving December January, Pulau Weh, Sipadan, other suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to SE Asia in december and january, and I'm looking for good places to dive with my brother. Two of the multiple options I've been looking at are Pulau Weh and Sipadan. I've come across some negative opinions however and would like some expert advice.

First some general info:

This is first diving experience, my brother just finished his PADI Open Water course.
I'd prefer a spot that's not too busy and that a good quality vs price ratio for the accomodations
The visibility should be good during December/January, since my brother had bad luck with that during his PADI course.
Personally I'd like the chance to see some larger marine life, as I've snorkeled in the Red Sea already.
Partying not necessary
Accomodations should be good, but basic is fine

I've heard about reports from Pulau Weh that the coral has been subject to bleaching, but also about unfriendly locals etc, is this true? When I first looked into this Island it seemed an amazing place, and I was thinking of staying there with Lumba Lumba.

I've heard about Sipadan that it's just good for the diving at Sipadan: expensive shabby accomodations and not much beauty above water. Is this correct?

Any reassuring thoughts on these destinations or other possible destinations in SE asia are welcome. We're quite flexible as to our destination ATM.

Cheers,

Max

I've heard about reports from Pulau Weh that the coral has been subject to bleaching, but also about unfriendly locals etc, is this true? When I first looked into this Island it seemed an amazing place, and I was thinking of staying there with Lumba Lumba.
Yes, there has been coral bleaching at Weh. Just as there has been widespread bleaching throughout Indian Ocean reefs in SE Asia. I would be more concerned in relation to the actual dive sites, and I wouldn't recommend Pulau Weh for a brand-new diver. The dive sites get really, really deep, and there is often a lot of current to contend with.

I've heard about Sipadan that it's just good for the diving at Sipadan: expensive shabby accomodations and not much beauty above water. Is this correct?
There are shabby+cheap accommodations, and there are luxurious+expensive accommodations, and there are comfortable+reasonably-priced accommodations. It's true that above water the area is nothing special. The diving, though, is accessible to just about everybody, regardless of experience. There are a few more advanced dives, but certainly the bulk of the dives are easy.

Any reassuring thoughts on these destinations or other possible destinations in SE asia are welcome. We're quite flexible as to our destination ATM.
Cheers,

Max
Thailand is perfect at that time of year, and the diving is appropriate both for new divers and experienced ones. We've also had some coral bleaching here, but only in the most shallow parts of certain reefs, so there are plenty of places with healthy coral.

Yes, there has been coral bleaching at Weh. Just as there has been widespread bleaching throughout Indian Ocean reefs in SE Asia. I would be more concerned in relation to the actual dive sites, and I wouldn't recommend Pulau Weh for a brand-new diver. The dive sites get really, really deep, and there is often a lot of current to contend with.

The bleaching in Weh only really affected the House Reef, and some shallow areas of other dive sites. The bleaching came about due to increased water temperatures. On The House Reef there is no current and little water movement, so the water got a little too warm. On the other dive sites in Weh there is much more water movement, and therefore the water stayed a little cooler here, and there is little bleaching.

Thailand is perfect at that time of year, and the diving is appropriate both for new divers and experienced ones. We've also had some coral bleaching here, but only in the most shallow parts of certain reefs, so there are plenty of places with healthy coral.

Thailand is perhaps a better destination for new divers. As Quero pointed out, the currents in Weh can be challenging... Check out the destinations on the west coast of thailand like Khao Lak, Phuket, Koh Lanta and Koh Phi Phi...

Went to Pulau Weh last January (2012). The diving is challenging. I would not recommend it to a fresh Open water.
Lumba Lumba has ok accomodation, but no air-condition. January is wet and warm :wink:

I can however greatly recommend going to the Gili Islands. I also spent a week on Gili Trawangan. Although, i little bit busier, and with some patches of dynamite damaged corals, I had a great experience with great Guides with Trawangan Dive. Got to see turtles, White tip Reef, Pygmy Seahorse, seaSnakes and more...

all the coral reefs in Pulau Weh not bleaching anymore but already become better :) the dive site in pulau weh's really good :) the iboih beach's really good of view because all the rooms nearly to the sea. if you're interested to dive in front of the beach(especially: iboih beach): of course you will find the macro-stuff,etc. it other of dive site in Pulau Weh will have a pigmy seahorse,etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom