Diving death on Argentina Atlantic coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickpreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in the US but I am a diver from Argentina.

The area referred to in the article is in the state of Rio Negro, Argentina about 1000 kms from Buenos Aires, off the coast of Patagonia. I only went there once to dive and the weather prevented it, so my knowledge of the area is superficial. I have dived extensively off the coast of Patagonia, at locations further south such as Puerto Madryn and Tierra del Fuego.

Not a traditional diving center area, there are some commercial divers there, including a couple whom I know online. Very “oceanic” weather with challenging conditions: strong winds and currents, medium to low visibility.

The news portal noticiasnet.com.ar (which I never heard of before) reports (my translation from Spanish):

"A man who was diving in the public beach area Las Coloradas, 5 kilometers south of Las Grutas, died in the early afternoon today Wednesday.

The reasons have not been established, although it has been known, based upon an initial investigation, that death occurred due to equipment failure in the diving equipment used by the unlucky young man.

The death was ruled as “asphyxiation from drowning” and the body has already been turned over to the family.

It has been revealed that the young man accessed the area with two other people, including a minor, on board of a small boat.

After not returning to the surface in the expected time, the alert was given, and the body was immediately recovered. CPR was performed but it was not successful. It was also confirmed that the body presented no signs of violence."

A local diver reports on Facebook that the man was not a diver but a sailor, and that there was no equipment failure involved.

That is all I know for now.

These are all caused by improper training and lack of diving knowledge. Before a long dive any one should be well trained and well prepared. Diving is not a joke, each and every dive can be a reason of our death. Diving has to taken seriously and people who really loves to dive should do it because it is like playing with our own life. It is nt a game that can be played by anyone.

Back
Top Bottom