Diving Death in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubablue67

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone heard any information on the Dallas businessman that died last week after surfacing? The newspapers don't give any details. I heard he made a normal ascent and was incoherent at the surface. Shortly afterwards was pronounced dead. I'm sure there must be some detail to this. I was hoping to find out if it was health reasons or judgement that caused it.

Rich

My understanding is that (1) he was diving with his wife, (2) both surfaced early in the dive because the wife was having trouble with her regulator, (3) he had a brain aneurysm on the surface and became unconscious, (4) his wife pulled him to an anchored dinghy where they were supposed to wait until the dive boat picked them up, and (5) his wife was unable to get him into the dinghy and stayed in the water to support him for about 45 minutes, when the dive boat arrived. I have not heard that the aneurysm was caused in any way by the diving, or that the incident was preventable or survivable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom