Diving computer Algorithms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any information out there on the differences between say ZHL16 ADT M8 and ZHL8 ADT M8 dive computer algorithms on the scubapro range? Chromis versus Aladin One Matrix

Well ZH stands for Zurich and the world L in the end means "Limits." Thus ZHL means Zurich limits. Dr. Buhlmann who is responsible for developing a lot of dive tables that are being used today, did his Hyperbaric research in Switzerland and that is wher Zurich Decompression Limits comes from. The numbers 16 and 8 refer to the tissue compartments that Buhlmann used to track nitrogen loading and off-gassing. Both the 8 tissue limits and the 16 tissue limits are widely used today so these are legit.

Hi @Jonathan Crowther

The ZH-L8 ADT MB algorithm was the last developed by Albert Buhlmann. It was superficially described in his last edition, many details of the parameters of the model were not included. The model was adapted by Uwatec as the basis for their computers. (Deco for Divers, Mark Powell)

I don't know why they switched from an 8 compartment model to a 16 compartment model. I once heard it may have initially been to add helium/trimix to their most advanced computer(s). It does seem that the 16 compartment model is being placed on all their contemporary computers. I have never dived a Scubapro computer, my impression is that their deco algorithms are middle of the road to conservative.

It seems that the Chromis has been discontinued and is still available at discount. It requires a USB cable/cradle to download, the extra cost largely nullifies the discount. The Aladin 1 Matrix has Bluetooth and does not require a download cable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom