Diving / cardiology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mc12301

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all -

Looking for some feedback regarding how to handle a health concern related to diving in the near future.

I've been diving for a few years with no issues. I am in good physically shape but I noticed recently I get disconcertingly dizzy while I go running. Never happened before, very unusual. I went to see a cardiologist last week just to make sure this isn't a sign of anything major first and foremost... and also to get clearance on diving when I am on vacation next week.

Cardiologist did an echocardiogram, bloodwork, and a stress test -- all came back normal. I asked if I am safe to proceed with diving. He said he doesn't see why not. Done deal.

Here's the thing that's still on my mind though: The stress test was kind of short and mostly easy, not rigorous enough to reproduce and observe the dizziness I get when I am out on a prolonged run. So the test didn't observe what happens on my runs. Can't help but feel it's not conclusive enough to say there's nothing to worry about, but I'm not a doctor.

So about diving...
- Generally, are my tests and doctor's visits enough to proceed with diving next week? Or should I call it off? Doctor said go for it... am I being overly cautious still worrying about it?
- I plan to go for a second opinion in due time, but that probably can't happen between now and vacation next week. Does DAN offer any resources that might be useful on a time crunch? Do they offer online/phone consultations or anything like that? Not a member and never dealt with them.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It's hard to imagine an average recreational dive requiring the long term energy output of your prolonged runs. Unless you run into some odd current situation, I'd be surprised if your heart rate ever got into Zone 2. What's your pulse during the dizzy spells? Unusually fast or slow? An Apple Watch or Fitbit might capture some useful data. Also, did you have COVID? There have been lots of reports of long term sequelae from even mild cases.

The stress test was kind of short and mostly easy
You might consider another stress test according to the Bruce protocol that takes you to a certain METS of physical effort. Other than cardiolyte "chemical" stress tests, I've never heard a cardiac stress test described as short and easy.
Maybe some confusion between your cardiologist and the techs/nurses administering the test?

It's hard to imagine an average recreational dive requiring the long term energy output of your prolonged runs. Unless you run into some odd current situation, I'd be surprised if your heart rate ever got into Zone 2. What's your pulse during the dizzy spells? Unusually fast or slow? An Apple Watch or Fitbit might capture some useful data. Also, did you have COVID? There have been lots of reports of long term sequelae from even mild cases.
Yeah, this logic makes sense to me. The dives I'm doing are relaxing, not rigorous, so I doubt I'd experience any symptoms -- and that's even if I have some sort of condition, which my cardiologist doesn't suspect. Perhaps I'm just being too cautious.

Interestingly... I did have covid last summer. But the dizzy spells started not long after my booster. Make of that what you will :confused:

You might consider another stress test according to the Bruce protocol that takes you to a certain METS of physical effort. Other than cardiolyte "chemical" stress tests, I've never heard a cardiac stress test described as short and easy.
Maybe some confusion between your cardiologist and the techs/nurses administering the test?
I guess easy wasn't the right word choice - just not long and rigorous enough to reproduce the dizzyness I get running. I did hit my target heart rate and as high as ~175. Doctor didn't notice any irregularities and thought that was enough to clear me.

FWIW.. Looked up Bruce protocol - that's exactly what I had.

Was this a nuclear test where they actually looked at the heat with dye or was it only checked with an EKG? I had a 100% blockage and EKG was fine. The lack of flow showed up in the dye x-ray though.

Also, you say you got dizzy on your runs but were you out of breath of did your chest/shoulder, or arms hurt? Just curious.

Was this a nuclear test where they actually looked at the heat with dye or was it only checked with an EKG? I had a 100% blockage and EKG was fine. The lack of flow showed up in the dye x-ray though.

Also, you say you got dizzy on your runs but were you out of breath of did your chest/shoulder, or arms hurt? Just curious.
No chest or shoulder problems. Not shortness of breath. Due to age doctor wasn’t concerned about blockage. EKG stress test was mostly to see if dizziness came from an arrhythmia.

Don't know your age but I was 40 when mine showed up. If nobody has told you yet things start falling apart at 40 LOL.

Alot of things can cause dizziness but if you didn't get it during a Bruce protocol, and doc says you're fine then I'm sure you're good. I'm always a little gun shy now when anything dosen't feel right after my surprises.

I hope you figure out what's causing the dizziness. It's always frustrating not knowing.

Hi all -

Looking for some feedback regarding how to handle a health concern related to diving in the near future.

I've been diving for a few years with no issues. I am in good physically shape but I noticed recently I get disconcertingly dizzy while I go running. Never happened before, very unusual. I went to see a cardiologist last week just to make sure this isn't a sign of anything major first and foremost... and also to get clearance on diving when I am on vacation next week.

Cardiologist did an echocardiogram, bloodwork, and a stress test -- all came back normal. I asked if I am safe to proceed with diving. He said he doesn't see why not. Done deal.

Here's the thing that's still on my mind though: The stress test was kind of short and mostly easy, not rigorous enough to reproduce and observe the dizziness I get when I am out on a prolonged run. So the test didn't observe what happens on my runs. Can't help but feel it's not conclusive enough to say there's nothing to worry about, but I'm not a doctor.

So about diving...
- Generally, are my tests and doctor's visits enough to proceed with diving next week? Or should I call it off? Doctor said go for it... am I being overly cautious still worrying about it?
- I plan to go for a second opinion in due time, but that probably can't happen between now and vacation next week. Does DAN offer any resources that might be useful on a time crunch? Do they offer online/phone consultations or anything like that? Not a member and never dealt with them.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hi @mc12301 ,

If you were concerned enough about this dizziness that you sought out a cardiologist and underwent testing, then it seems as if you would want a definitive diagnosis before diving. You may have ruled out certain cardiac issues, but there are a lot of other things that can cause dizziness with exercise.

Best regards,
DDM

interesting update…

After having no dizziness during the stress test, I hopped on the treadmill at home and ran my full regular distance and speed without dizziness. Weird.

a dozen runs outside with symptoms
a couple on the treadmill without

Definitely not cardiac issue, which is relieving. Gotta be some sort of motion sickness reaction from the running motion. Did some googling and this can be a form of migraine.

Confident I won’t be having any sort of cardiac event in the water now so I’m More comfortable with the idea of diving now than I was. Especially since it’s all very casual dives. Any objections?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom