Diving Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, there is NO WAY I would rent a scooter there. They don’t call Americans on a scooter “road rash” for nothing. The Twizzies do seem tempting though.

By the way, there is NO WAY I would rent a scooter there. They don’t call Americans on a scooter “road rash” for nothing. The Twizzies do seem tempting though.

This is the problem with BDA. Living on the West side and walking to BWD limits you to BWD and the Marie Celestia etc. Best dive on the island is Cathedral on the east side. Try and get out for a morning dive and do it. It’s spectacular.

I haven't been; I read reports and questions about it very sporadically; I suppose it's out-of-the-way enough from other places that it just doesn't get that much attention?

Your post is already in the Bermuda section of the forum (I don't know whether it was moved or posted here originally). First timers to bermuda -recommendations looks like it might be interesting.

Undercurrent.org is a paid subscription online magazine with some free access content; here's their Bermuda page, which notes under Seasonal Dive Planner "Water temperature varies from low 60s°F (15°C) during the winter to summer highs in the 80s°F (27°C)."

This old 2012/2013 thread Bermuda Questions has a lot of content, including from people who live there. I keep seeing 'expensive' and 'wrecks' mentioned.

Are you planning to be on a cruise stopping there, or traveling directly to the island?

If you go, please post us a trip report. As you can see, Bermuda reports trickle in, and there is some interest.
Thank you!!!!! :)

Lived there for 15 years, dived it for 10. If you like wrecks there are some nice ones with interesting history. If you can get out to North Rock (it's a bit far), it's a nice dive. Tarpon Hole used to have lots of big groupers but I heard they got fished away. Cathedral is nice. Overall fish life is not very abundant unfortunately due to historical overfishing. Water temp is warm in Jul-Oct but August and September visibility is poor. June and July is probably my favorite time for diving. You will still need 3-5mm wetsuit. As mentioned do rent the electric car rather than scooter. Diver Bermuda used to have an outpost at Elbow for shore diving but not sure if they do that any more. I haven't lived or dived there for 3 years but when I was there, Dive Bermuda (which is at Southampton Princess) had bought the old Triangle Diving in Grotto Bay Hotel. I imagine they still own both - it's a great shop.
Cathedral and North Rock are on the east side and Tarpon Hole is on the west side. There are nice sites on both sides. I'd say it's an ok diving if you're going to be there but I wouldn't go there to dive. It's a beautiful island and there are some other fun things you can do - my favorite being paddleboarding in Harrington Sound where often you will see eagle rays. In fact there are spots in Harrington Sound where snorkeling is far better than diving on the south shore. Tourism though is mostly focused on the south shore.

Water temp right now is 30 Celsius, drops to about 18 Celsius in winter.

One of my favourite spots here is Tom Moore’s jungle, with lush vegetation, coastal paths and dry and wet caves.

I'm heading out to Bermuda on a cruise in 3 weeks (arriving April 10) and overnighting there for three days. I've booked a 2-tank dive with Blue Water Divers, who have apparently moved to the Royal Dockyard area which is where my ship will be docked.

I have a 2-3mm wetsuit, but BWD has advised that a 5mm is advised. I don't usually go against dive shop recommendations; should I take my 2-3 and just rent another layer to go over top, or leave the 2-3 at home (and save the luggage space!) and rent a 5mm from the shop?

Any particular recommendations for dive sites I should ask to go to?

I'm heading out to Bermuda on a cruise in 3 weeks (arriving April 10) and overnighting there for three days. I've booked a 2-tank dive with Blue Water Divers, who have apparently moved to the Royal Dockyard area which is where my ship will be docked.

I have a 2-3mm wetsuit, but BWD has advised that a 5mm is advised. I don't usually go against dive shop recommendations; should I take my 2-3 and just rent another layer to go over top, or leave the 2-3 at home (and save the luggage space!) and rent a 5mm from the shop?

First make sure they have 5mms to rent, then rent one if they do. Otherwise find a dive shop close to you to rent one from. It’s still pretty cold, low 70’s F, that time of year.

I’ve only done 2 dives in Bermuda, and they were from the east end of the island, so I’ll let others answer that question. Have a great trip!

Erik

Depends on your cold tolerance. I dove here with vacationers who had only swimming shorts in January… I would say 5mm is better choice but make sure they have your size as if it is too big, well, it will not give you that much protection. I would take my 2-3mm that fits well and put something rented on top.

Site-wise the dive ops usually take you where they deem to be the best site for the given weather conditions so there is not much of an input you can have in terms of where to go.

@BigDaddyGlad, did 2 dives today, both around 50’, both 68 F. That temp is usually a 5 mm with hooded vest and gloves for 1 dive for me, YMMV. I was wearing a 5mm with a 3 mm long sleeve shorty over it, gloves and hood. That second dive was cold.

Hope you have a great dive and a fantastic time in Bermuda, also known as my happy place!

Erik

Looks like I won't be diving in Bermuda after all. I got an email on Sunday from Blue Water Divers telling me they have to reschedule my dives, but haven't responded to any followup requests to rebook. I leave for NYC on Friday, so I have 2 days to pack...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom