Diving Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorcher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am interested in diving in Bermuda. Is it worth it? What's the water temperature, visibility in general...?

Hello! I haven’t been diving there but am planning to this coming June. I can say that the snorkeling is great! I understand that water temperature and visibility vary based on time of year. Temps range from mid 50 in the winter to mid 80 in the summer, vis up to 200’ in winter and down to 60’ in summer.

Erik

Hi, I am interested in diving in Bermuda. Is it worth it? What's the water temperature, visibility in general...?
I haven't been; I read reports and questions about it very sporadically; I suppose it's out-of-the-way enough from other places that it just doesn't get that much attention?

Your post is already in the Bermuda section of the forum (I don't know whether it was moved or posted here originally). First timers to bermuda -recommendations looks like it might be interesting.

Undercurrent.org is a paid subscription online magazine with some free access content; here's their Bermuda page, which notes under Seasonal Dive Planner "Water temperature varies from low 60s°F (15°C) during the winter to summer highs in the 80s°F (27°C)."

This old 2012/2013 thread Bermuda Questions has a lot of content, including from people who live there. I keep seeing 'expensive' and 'wrecks' mentioned.

Are you planning to be on a cruise stopping there, or traveling directly to the island?

If you go, please post us a trip report. As you can see, Bermuda reports trickle in, and there is some interest.

I've dived there a lot. (My dive buddy lived there). Water temp varies from high eighties in summer to low sixties in winter. Like anywhere else, vis varies from fantastic to OK. It's mostly over-dived wrecks with some very nice reefs. You have to be selective with your operator but that depends on where you're going to be staying. I find the diving better on the East side rather than the West. IMO some of the best diving is from shore but unless you know someone there, you're not going to be able to do those sites.

When do you intend going? This is key.

I've dived there a lot. (My dive buddy lived there).
If I understand correctly it's a fairly cheap, convenient flight for some of you east coasters, and I quick look at a Newark, NJ airport - Bermuda Sat. to Sat. in June 2022 hypothetical trip on Orbitz supports that view.

Given how little we see Bermuda trip reports, do you think it's a 'hidden gem,' somehow missed and under appreciated, or is there good reason it gets nowhere near the attention on this forum of Roatan, Belize, Bahamas, Curacao or Key Largo (never mind Cozumel and Bonaire)?

I'm thinking in terms of the warm water season of Bermuda. A number of cruise ships visit Bermuda, so it gets some exposure to the touring public. People have heard of it (even if most maybe don't know where it is). So what's keeping Bermuda off the 'dive radar?'

There are a number of warm water diving destinations in the 'neighborhood' of North America that don't seem to get a lot of attention - Bermuda, St. Vincent, Carriacou (never mind Montserrat or Martinique), Puerto Rico, Grenada...

If I understand correctly it's a fairly cheap, convenient flight for some of you east coasters, and I quick look at a Newark, NJ airport - Bermuda Sat. to Sat. in June 2022 hypothetical trip on Orbitz supports that view.

Given how little we see Bermuda trip reports, do you think it's a 'hidden gem,' somehow missed and under appreciated, or is there good reason it gets nowhere near the attention on this forum of Roatan, Belize, Bahamas, Curacao or Key Largo (never mind Cozumel and Bonaire)?

I'm thinking in terms of the warm water season of Bermuda. A number of cruise ships visit Bermuda, so it gets some exposure to the touring public. People have heard of it (even if most maybe don't know where it is). So what's keeping Bermuda off the 'dive radar?'

There are a number of warm water diving destinations in the 'neighborhood' of North America that don't seem to get a lot of attention - Bermuda, St. Vincent, Carriacou (never mind Montserrat or Martinique), Puerto Rico, Grenada...

Major cons:

1. The island is expensive. Really expensive. Going out to eat is eye-openingly mind-numbingly expensive.

2. Accomodations are expensive too. And limited. No diver friendly resorts either.

3. It’s cold in winter. Bermuda is not in the Caribbean. It’s parallel to N.C. Water temps in winter are cold.

4. Transportation is expensive. They only recently started to allow tourists to rent teensy weensy cars. Also, you guessed it - kinda expensive. There’s that word again.

5. Unless you know where to dive, tourist diving is boring, shallow and repetitive. Only so many times you can dive the Marie Celeste.

I was lucky. I had a dive buddy living on island. I would hop on a plane from Newark and stay and dive with him. He was a BSAC member and had a car. That changes everything. Free fills etc. Would I go back on a diving trip? Heck no. There are some wonderful sites especially on the Eastern side of the island but I wouldn’t return.

I agree with tridacna, expensive is the most prominent feature of Bermuda. I can add that average dive will cost double of what you pay in Florida or carribean (I don't know how it was affected by covid). Cheapest way to eat is to find supermarket but still cost is about twice of US supermarket.
Couple pros:
There are many historical wrecks, if you care.
Corals are in a good shape, although limited variety due to a cold water during winter. Fish life is unremarkable.
Nice, safe island overall. You can take long pleasant walks using trail along old railroad through the most parts of the island with ocean views on both sides.

Piggybacking on the 2 previous posts, we are finally booking our postponed 2020 trip, so I’m in the planning stage now. We cruised out of Boston the first few times we went. You have roughly 2-3 days in Bermuda with this option, so getting a 2 tank dive excursion would be easy. I’m currently seeing $130.00 to $150.00 for a morning 2 tank dive.
We have started going for a full week and staying in rentals booked through Bermudarentals.com. Not nearly as expensive and you have a kitchen available to you. Even then, at $130 a pop, a couple of mornings of diving is probably all you’ll do.
As far as you, @drrich2 , and vacationing with your family, there are great beaches with fantastic snorkeling, fantastic parks (green space, not amusement) and reserves to explore as well as forts of historical interest. No high adrenaline activities, except the public bus, which a weeks pass will run around $80/adult.
So, in summary, a dive destination vacation-no. A family vacation destination with some diving-yes.
Oh, and did I mention? Bermuda is my happy place!

Erik
Ps. I will do a dive review after our trip in early June.

Piggybacking on the 2 previous posts, we are finally booking our postponed 2020 trip, so I’m in the planning stage now. We cruised out of Boston the first few times we went. You have roughly 2-3 days in Bermuda with this option, so getting a 2 tank dive excursion would be easy. I’m currently seeing $130.00 to $150.00 for a morning 2 tank dive.
We have started going for a full week and staying in rentals booked through Bermudarentals.com. Not nearly as expensive and you have a kitchen available to you. Even then, at $130 a pop, a couple of mornings of diving is probably all you’ll do.
As far as you, @drrich2 , and vacationing with your family, there are great beaches with fantastic snorkeling, fantastic parks (green space, not amusement) and reserves to explore as well as forts of historical interest. No high adrenaline activities, except the public bus, which a weeks pass will run around $80/adult.

How do you get from your rental to the dive shop? Scooter? Bringing your own gear?

How do you get from your rental to the dive shop? Scooter? Bringing your own gear?
I would/will only take essentials, my reg, mask, fins and booties, computers and a light, rent a BC and wetsuit. That can be carried on a bus without any problem. This coming trip we’re looking at a rental that is a 6 minute walk down the rail trail to Blue Water Divers at the Somerset bridge.

Back
Top Bottom