Diving Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lkirgan

New
Reaction score
We are heading to Belize in a couple of weeks and will be looking for photo-friendly dive operators. Can you suggest the good and also let us know who not to call.

We would also invite suggestions for dive spots.

Thanks much,
Lee

We want to go to Belize around June 17 to 23. The dates can be a little longer if need be. Those dates listed are my days off. I can take vacation before or after if need be.

We want to Dive, cave tubing, go on a couple of Maya Ruins Exploration, and get married.

Sorry for jumping in on someones Post. But the info could really help us.

thanks

lkirgan:
We are heading to Belize in a couple of weeks and will be looking for photo-friendly dive operators. Can you suggest the good and also let us know who not to call.

We would also invite suggestions for dive spots.

Thanks much,
Lee

Don't Dive the Blue Hole. It wasn't worth the 185$ plus 10$ for the Area tax. It might be up to $40 now. I just got back from there. And, I wish I would have never went on that trip.

Turneffe Reef was supposed to be nice. I dove with Belize Accademy of Diving. But there out of Costa Maya Reef Resort. 6 miles north of San Pedro. So unless your staying there you won't be diving with them. Most of the Resorts have a dive shop on there premesis. But only the big ones go out to Turneffe and Blue Hole. I can't remember who I went to the Blue Hole with. But if you look in the previous thread about Belize. It's in there...

If you are a NEW diver. You'll like it. If you're a skilled diver who dives multiple times a year. You might not be happy with the cattle boats...

If you're going to Ambergis, I'd suggest going with ProDive. I went with them about a month ago and they were fantastic. Dive masters were really good-- fun people, pointed out some interesting life, and were very safe.

Val

valifornia:
If you're going to Ambergis, I'd suggest going with ProDive. I went with them about a month ago and they were fantastic. Dive masters were really good-- fun people, pointed out some interesting life, and were very safe.

Val

What about the other things. Getting married Second most important(diving is first & she will agree), cave tubing, and Maya ruins.
Thank you for your input. I was on this board all night at work reading
about Belize and everyone pretty much wrote about Ambergis. I am guessing
that is the best area to stay for the money?? I could not find any big discussions
about other areas

My wife and I stayed at Blackbird resort on Blackbird Cay lasy year and can't say enough. Dive was great, excellent food Great cabins on the beach and great staff. Very clean, professional, and relaxing week. but after being out to the atolls a couple of times, it looks like any of the places out there would offer you excellent diving, plusthe blue hole preserve, where you get to see blue footed boobies in the wild up close and personal. While we were there we dove with a newly married couple who had gotten married down there on the mainland, and spent there honeymoon next to an underground river. it was all done quit nicelt they said. I can get you the name of that place. the only bad thing that happened to them that at one particular resort in the jungle, the owner had a pet monkey who was a junkie for Coca Cola. the bride didn't give hers up when the monkey asked for at , and she got bitten pretty well.
What ever you do, don't try to dive directly from Belize city. You really have to go out to the atolls for the good diving.

We are actually going to spend a few days in the jungle prior to Ambergris. Once we arrive in San Pedro we'll stay at Mata Chica where we will get married. We plan on a dive the morning of the wedding and then diving the entire day following. We have no interest in the Blue Hole but we do want to dive the area near there.

Thanks for input here as it is greatly appreciated.

Have you checked out www.belizeforum.com ? Search for "weddings" and you'll get lots of hits. Many folks divide their time between the San Ignacio area (jungle, hiking, caving, villages, ruins including Tikal over the border in Guatemala - HIGHLY recommended) and the cayes. Ambergris Caye is the most developed and Caye Caulker a more budget-oriented option; operators go to mostly the same dive sites from both. There are some great options on the outer atolls where, I think, the diving is better. We stayed at Glover's Atoll Resort which is a budget, roughing-it option - absolutely fabulous time.

I recommend the Rough Guide to Belize. Let me know if you want more specifics (my travelogue can be found by searching the Belize Forum travelogue section for "holeman"). The place diverrick mentions with the honeymoon cave experience (but not the monkey) is probably www.cavesbranch.com .

lkirgan - sorry I can't help with the photo bit, but asking on the Belize Forum might be rewarding. Turtle - you're definitely going to want more than the days listed - we spent nearly a month and barely scratched the surface.

Happy trails...

TURTLE696:
What about the other things. Getting married Second most important(diving is first & she will agree), cave tubing, and Maya ruins.
Thank you for your input. I was on this board all night at work reading
about Belize and everyone pretty much wrote about Ambergis. I am guessing
that is the best area to stay for the money?? I could not find any big discussions
about other areas

If you stay at Hamansai or somewhere between Danriga/Hopkins to the Placencia turnoff you'll be fairly close to the cave riding rivers up on the Hummingbird Hwy and good diving at the resorts. The Maya ruins are a bit farther but I'm sure they'll have trips there if you ask. Renting a car in Belize is really expensive. Like over US$100 per day and gas is US$4.40/gallon. Getting married? ?? Just do it Belize style and go common law. :wink: :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom