Diving Belize on cruise ship excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbobst

New
Reaction score
I will be heading to the Caribbean in a few weeks on a cruise ship (specifically the Grand Princess) and I have booked their scuba excursion in Belize. I was wondering if anyone has done a cruise ship scuba excursion in Belize before, and if they could give me any insight into what it is like.

I have never been any place tropical before, nor have I been on a cruise ship dive excursion. I would think that with close to 3000 people on the ship, there is going to be a large number of divers on this excursion. Do they limit the number of people typically, or do we all just go out on a real big dive boat, full of divers? Also, how do the dives typically go? Do they make you follow a dive master around? Do they let you have any freedom on where you can swim? My wife doesn't dive, so I'll be a single diver...I assume they'll be plenty of other single divers, so I am sure I can find a buddy.

Thanks for any advice!
Jeff

Welcome to tropical diving and cruising Jeff :)

As for Belize specifically, and cruise ship diving in general, the availability is limited. You'd be surprised how few people actually dive while cruising. Likely about 20ish from any given ship on an excursion, though some have double that. Others go off on their own, but in Belize that's more difficult.

In Belize, Hugh Parkey Diving will pick you up right at the ship. You don't dock in Belize, but rather anchor a couple miles off shore. So having them pick you up there and drop you off is very nice. You'll be told a time to assemble and a place to meet. Don't be late.

The boat is fairly large, but likely will be fairly full as well. Not ginormous, but large. The dives are follow the leader, with little ability to go off on your own. Since you're only with them for one day, they don't have a good opportunity to assess your skills, and a good number of cruise ship divers dive infrequently, so it's the safer setup. Bottom times and depths will be limited. Buddying is never a problem. DM if no one else.

Let me know if you have other questions!

We took the Grand Princess last year at spring break. I have no complaints about Hugh Parkey's staff. We were picked up at the ship by the dive boat(s) and returned to the ship, so you will not need your passport, only your ship ID card to get back onboard. There were 24 divers on the boat, 5 crew. Four dive guides and boat captain. You are divided into groups of 6 by experience and after getting gear assembled meet with your assigned DM. I was diving with my 13 year old so we were limited by depth. Nice dives, both shallow, but it is some distance to the sites. Very organized for the number of divers. I would dive with them again. Have a great time!

I used Sea Sports Belize whe I was Cruising over Thanksgiving, you do have to tender in but the shop is close. They have small fast boats and take only about 8 divers, feed you lunch and drop you off back at your cruise ship. Great prices, staff and service. You can even pre pay through PayPal and not have to worry with exchange rates or surcharge fees. Linda is very accomidating and has a super nice staff. http://www.seasportsbelize.com/welcome.html

Thanks for the information. Definately looking forward to my trip in two weeks!!!

I'll post a review when I get back.

Jeff

Belize law requires a dive guide to accompany all divers.

There is lots of info re cruising around here. Lots of tips about cruising. (Food on board is free, order 2 lobster tails on lobster night.) Lots of tips about diving while cruising. (Don't bring a knife.)

If you need help finding that info, let me know.

ItsBruce:
Belize law requires a dive guide to accompany all divers.
really? Is that a cruise ship thing? Except for a few special cases, never been accompanied by a dive guide there aside from one perhaps being in the same ocean, sometimes not even that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom