Diving Belize in June???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadivin

Registered
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Belize for mid-June.

Is this bad timing for diving? How about in general? I think June is the beginning of the rainy season??

I leave friday for Belize and was told when booking that I was getting very close to "rainy season", and that the beginning of the "rainy season" was/is the worst part. Not sure as I am going off of what I was told, This will be my first trip to Belize.

It's the official start of the rainy season but you never know. We've been having signs of it starting with more showers. But the weather has been great the last week.
Letterboy, they're letting you in Belize? hah. Where are you staying?

Yeah, scary isn't it! :D

I was in Belize--30 miles off the coast, actually--for two weeks in late June to mid-July last year. It rained really hard the first night we were there on into the next morning. It was like a monsoon. By mid-morning the rain let up to more like a hard sprinkle. After our checkout dive, it started raining pretty hard again and we had to cover ourselves with towels on the dive boat as the rain was stinging like needles. We huddled up and laughed all the way back to the dock. The sun came out shortly afterwards and dried the place out in minutes.

If it rained after that, I don't remember, but if it did it was nothing like the monsoon and was no big deal. Overall, I would describe the weather on that trip as very good.

Hope that helps.

I just returned from Ambergris Caye on Monday. We did not have any rain the entire 5 days we were there, but it was HOT, HOT, HOT! The Belizeans reported that the degree of heat was very unusual. I hope you are staying in a hotel with good a/c. The electricity has been spotty lately (and even more so now with the recent earthquake.) Not a huge problem during the day as I was in the water anyway, but at night, when all you want is a really good night's sleep, it was suffocating b/c the power was interrupted every hour or so. A little rain would have been nice to help cool things off.

When we left last week of May, all we saw on the internet and other weather bureaus was rain/thunderstorms!

Got back few days and ago and in 3 weeks, NEVER rained (maybe once but the roads were already drying up while I was sipping my coffee-didnt even noticed). Went to Cayo, Glover's. Lighthouse, Turneffe, Caulker, San Pedro, Dangriga and Placencia and NO rain!

I guess you can call us lucky?

i went in June 2007 when they were having that big tropical storm...hurricane something, i forgot the name. anyways the first night it was horrible, thought the roof was gonna blow! but then it cleared up. there were some intermitten showers throughout the week, but the sun always came out and we had great vis!

It's June now and it's no different than previous Junes. I remember when we were out with Downing at Turneffe and the rain got annoying. There was that first 10' or so of murky cold green water after the rains but everything was nice and warm past that. Unless you are doing DSD at the Barrier Reef it's nothing your operator can't handle. Besides, Tropical Storms and Hurricanes are predicted well in advanced.

Safe diving
Cyberdyver

I just got back from Belize Sunday - was on Caye Caulker the first 5 nights and it rained almost every night, but never during the day - in fact it was consistently in the 90's and extremely humid. I spent the last 5 nights of my trip in Placencia, and it was much hotter, probably high 90's to low 100's, still humid. No rain there until the last morning of my stay...

Back
Top Bottom