Diving before the Rose Bowl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey....I might have free tickets to the Rose Bowl. Thinking about doing some diving before. Any good good boats going out of that area? I would prefer Orange county. Just looking to get wet while I am down there. I am still pretty new. Diving a couple years, have 30 dives or so. Just got AOW but pretty comfortable in cold water.

Thanks

Bakes

Boat

As far as I know, in Orange Country proper, there is only one dive boat that runs public trips and that is the Riviera in Dana Point: https://rivierayachtcharters.com/scuba-diving-&-snorkeling

If you expand your geography slightly north to LA, there there are a lot more options (I often dive on the Sundiver which is based in Alamitos Bay just south of Long Beach). Or, if you go south to San Diego, there are a couple options there as well.

- brett

@Omb

Rose bowl= Pasadena -- Los Angeles County
Orange county = fifty traffic filled roads south of Pasadena
San Deigo = 100 miles south of Orange County
Be prepared

You will not be in Utah - (Provo?) (No snow!)

For the game you need two dedicated days
One long day for the game
The following day to visit all the parked floats up-close and personal

Then go diving
It is the holidays - boats may or may not be operating
Check boat availability and destination
Reserve spot on boat in advanced ($$$$)
Arrive early- boats depart on time

If possible, spend the night before on the boat

If in OC suggest local boat -
"Beach Cities SCUBA" owns and operates it -- very local dives- one to a nondescript "wreck"

SDM

Yeah unfortunately I don't know of any other OC boats besides the Riviera. There are lots going out of San Pedro/Long Beach, which is barely north of OC. But am I understanding correctly that you want to go out on Friday, 12/31? That's maybe going to be tricky; most boats only do Saturdays and Sundays unless you arrange a private charter. (They're happy to go out during the week; it's a matter of finding enough divers to fill the boat.) If it is Friday, your best bet might actually be to hop on the ferry to Catalina (which you can do from Newport Beach, Long Beach, or San Pedro) and go to the dive park. I know you said you want a boat dive, but honestly the dive park has pretty much everything that's good about boat diving. If it's Saturday or Sunday you're looking for, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

@beldridg
Yup, that dive boat is the Riviera and the wreck is the A.C.E, a 58-foot seiner about 115' feet deep.

- brett
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With all the comforts of home...???

Remember this gentleman is a visitor from Utah
First impressions are lasting impressions...

Thanks for responses. I think the dive park is my best bet. Will get there Wed night and have Thurs and Friday to burn prior to the game on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom