Diving Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have always wanted to dive in the Bahamas and am wondering what time of year is best. With it's slightly northern location, I would expect the waters would cool (I use this term loosely of course) in the winter. Is the visibility better at different times of the year? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I have dove them in June and October. Viz was better in Oct. Water temps were in the 80's both times so no suit necessary.

We dove San Salvador in January, and the water temp was around 72-73. Definitely chilly in a 3-mm suit!

Just Cutting and pasting my reply to you from ScubaBoard too.

The end of October is my favorite time of year to go. My wife and I spend 2 weeks on Grand Bahama each year. The Days are mid 80's the nights mid 70's, and the water low 80's. Vis is usually around 100'.

We dive with Grand Bahama Scuba. Great operation!! Nice boat, and they want to make sure you have a good time. They're great with beginners and seasoned divers too!!

They are located on-site at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. The dive boat, and our gear is just a short walk from our room.

The only thing about that time of year......it is the end of hurricane season. We were there when Michelle was a near miss. We were there for Wilma. Each time we lost 2 days of diving, But WOW were things underwater different after the hurricanes came through!! some of the wrecks weren't where we saw them last!!

We've also been there in May. We like October better.

My name is Tim. I owned a resort dive operation at the south end of Eleuthera. I was the only dive operator there for the 10 years I was there. There is another operation there now. There are fantastic walls and numerous reefs with unique formations, most within a short boat ride from the marina. Email me at timrtiger@hotmail.com if you would like more info and a place to stay.

I've been to Freeport/Lucaya several years...but only ever in June or July. The water temps, even at depth, are typically upper 70's and into the 80's. If the viz is better than the 60-80ft. that I've seen in the summer time, then I've got to go in October!!

I've stayed at an all-inclusive resort with its own PADI dive shop right on the premises...Viva Wyndham Fortuna. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The water temps in the summer are high 80's and low to mid 70s in early winter. The vis is great year around but better in the winter since you have less plankton. It really depends upon how much you like wearing a wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom