diving bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewk

Reaction score
Planning to dive Bahamas this August...tried Grand Bahama two years ago and was unimpressed...I've dived Grand Cayman, Bonaire, Cozumel and Saba in years past.

Am I wasting my time or are there any good dives spots in Bahamas worth exploring?

TIA, Andrew

I got OW cert. in Nassau. They took us out to the Bond wrecks. I wasn't too impressed but my boyfriend thought it was cool(he's a 007 fan) Also got to see a bunch of sharks-which we both thought were awesome. I've heard there are a couple good dive spots there. However, I think you might be disappointed.

This is the third largest barrier reef in the world, it's healthy, and it's NOT OVERCROWDED!

It takes a bit more to get there, but the diving is well worth it.

Small Hope Bay Lodge is at Fresh Creek, and there are a couple other operations on the island that have not been around as long. SHBL runs a good oepration and the best bar on the north island. Nightlife sucks though compared to one of the main islands. A wild night at SHBL starts at the free bar, and end in the hot tub watching the stars. The reef starts at "scrape your chest at high tide," and ends at 1000 fathoms. Please do NOT try to bottom this reef out! The wall off there is truly awesome, with healthy coral gardens everywhere in the 20 to 60 foot depth range.

If sea based (liveaboard) it doesn't get much better than Cay Sal Bank if the weather co-operates. There is a small reasonably predictable weather window that runs from June to early August, with late August and Sept being "iffy" at best due to named storms traversing the area. Open ocean exposure of a bank covered in coral about 30 to 90'deep and the size of New Jersey, with one small uninhabited island to hide behind if a blow comes up means you NEED good weather to dive this site. Several "bottomless" blueholes are there without the dangerous tidal currents so common off Andros and the other big islands. The _little_ bull lobster there are about 8 pounds! The rest of the sealife is of comparible quality and size.

The Little Bahama Bank north of Garnd Bahama Island is also great for a liveaboard trip later in the season. The good stuff is out of range of the day boats from West End and the bank is big enough to damp most open ocean waves.

As a basic rule in the Bahamas, the easier it is to get to the less desireable the diving will be. Easy travel brings touristas who bring sewage nutrients to the reef, which damages the reef.

Look for smallish "resorts" with 10 to 30 cabins on the out islands if land based. Expect a $100 to $200 premium for airfare to the out islands big enough to have an air strip from Nassau or Ft Lauderdale. Lodging will be reasonable, and the local food is excellent. Most FW is made from SW or barged in from MIA or one of the larger islands. Small facilities may use cisterns. Expect shortages of FW for washing and such foofoo stuff on remote islands, and do NOT expect electricity! Many islands have it, if the generator didn't break. Spare parts are uncommon, and replacements are difficult to get. Most "resorts" will have a backup generator. The diving off the out islands is unspoiled and great. Think of Coz 35 years ago before the gringos moved in and you'll have a feeling for the good life and diving while "roughing it" on the Bahamas "family islands."

Hi Andrew,

Overall I don't think much of Bahamas diving, which is too bad since I seem to end up there a lot. I've done every island with scuba infrastructure at least once, most several times, and a few many times.

Anyway, I do enjoy the Riding Rock on San Salavdor. It's reviewed in the Jun '01 issue of Undercurrent http://www.undercurrent.org.

If you want a live-aboard, I suggest a Cay Sal Bank itinerary on a smaller boat, like the Sea Fever. It, along with the Bottom Time II, are reviewed here---> http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Bahamas200202.shtml.

Hope this was helpful.

DocVikingo

PS: For whatever reason carlislere's hot link shows a web page with an error message. Does this work better?---> http://www.ridingrock.com/

Back
Top Bottom