Diving at Gilboa Quarry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stsc-Andy-Pa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I am traveling to Wilmington Oh for Aug.2 but was going to detour up to the quarry. Has anyone that has done some diving here give me some recommendations on this site. Also if anyone is around on Aug 2 in the day to do some diving let me know. I am new and trying to get some good dives in this year while I travel a little. thanks for the help. Andy

Was just there this weekend. Vis was 30-40 feet or so. Warmer than expected. did the whole weekend in a 5 mil. did not go deep though. Max was 36 feet and was fine. Thermocline is about 25 and drops from low 70's high 60's to high 50's low 60's. Below 45-50 temps tend to drop rapidly. I would expect 40's or less from 60 feet on down. Expect deeper water right off the docks. You won't be standing in shallow water to put fins on. 20 ft depth under the docks or so is the norm. Plenty of platforms, and lots of stuff to see. I would advise not swimming under the tail of the plane. Look at the missing rivets on the top and you'll see why. A float is holding it up now.

Consider the Circleville, OH Twin Quarrys--much closer, easy in and out. It is about 20 miles south of Columbus and just north of Circleville. Nice quarry. At Gilboa, there is a shallow area where I liked diving among the remains of trees in about 20 ft of water. Usually the viz is good enough to see well and find your way around--it's like floating through the woods!!

thanks for the posts. I did look at Circleville but looked smaller and not as much stuff and so on. Gilboa looked more like a place I would like so even thou a longer drive and out of way I think It will have more memories for this trip. do you know if any dive shop go there regularly?

Jim, I see you are from Pa. where do you go locally? I have only been to Dutch as of now. I am going to a Local Coal mining hole that some divers have set up like a quarry type dive. Small but good training location only 10 minutes from home.

The place is a little strange. I hold a solo card and most of my logbook is below 50F dive temps. I have independant redundant gas sidemount or pony with cold water regs and they refuse to allow me in the deep end of the pool with or without a buddy. I have twice arranged to meet with the owner to go over my logbook and twice he has not shown up.

It is a 10 hour drive for me so check off the unhappy box.

Otoh.... the viz is great and there is fun stuff to see as well as some sort of big fish, maybe a sturgeon.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Andy,

I would recommend the drive to Gilboa. There are lots of shops that go there, but primarily for classes.

I believe there is a Breast Cancer Dive event at Whitestar on the 3rd...where I am sure you could find a bud.

I will check my work schedule for the 2nd to see if I can do Gilboa.

thanks for the new info. dave the only days I can dive will be the july31st and aug1st. I am going to do some racing down in Wilmington and must be there for Friday morning to do some testing. thanks for checking anyway. I may facebook them directly to see if they have any idea for dive shop there that day. I would be happy just sitting in behind some students and hang back 15- 20 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom