Diving at CSSP during winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooners

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just had some questions about CSSP.

Alrighty can you dive there during the winter?

Also, what would be the ppropriatesuit to wear during the winter there?

Working on my ow cert now and looking forward to spending a lot of time out there!:D

Any info would be much appreciated!

Winter is my favorite time to be out there. There are very few other divers and the visibility is the best of the year.

If you're a manly man, you could do some short dives in a really good 7mm wetsuit with really good hood and gloves. I don't quite have the intestinal fortitude for that. I dive a drysuit with 200 wt thinsulate undergarments, dry gloves and a really good hood. I'm generally pretty toasty. It drops into the low 40's by late winter. Pick a nice, sunny warm day and you'll survive just fine!

Edited to add: the only down side is that they don't open on Fridays In the winter so I can't play hookie from work.

Just had some questions about CSSP.

Alrighty can you dive there during the winter?

Also, what would be the ppropriatesuit to wear during the winter there?

Working on my ow cert now and looking forward to spending a lot of time out there!:D

Any info would be much appreciated!

Yes, you can dive in the winter.
Blue jeans, sweater (no OK college logos), gloves, hat, ect.:D:D

RATES AND HOURS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
HOURS
Summer hours of operation
Friday 10:00am to 8:00pm.
Saturday 8:00 am to 8:00pm
Sunday 8:00am to 7:00pm
Winter hours start Nov 21
Winter hours of operation
Saturday 9:00am till dark
Sunday 9:00am to 6:00pm

By November, you'll need a hood, 3mm min., at least 7mm of neoprene, and gloves

Welcome to world of diving

Winter is my favorite time to be out there. There are very few other divers and the visibility is the best of the year.

If you're a manly man, you could do some short dives in a really good 7mm wetsuit with really good hood and gloves.

Hmm i might just have to settle with a 7mm. I dont have the money for a dry suit soo guess that will have to do. Sure hope i can handle it :popcorn:

Blue jeans, sweater (no OK college logos), gloves, hat, ect.

Tony didnt you get the memo?? It is now required that you were OU appareal to get into the park! :D

Thanks for the info!!

If you can't do the drysuit thing, get a good 7mm full body suit of some sort. But . . . . .

Especially get the hood and gloves. Hood and gloves are absolutely essential for winter diving. You will lose 80% of your body heat through your head radiator. Excessively cold hands or feet are always the first body parts to call a dive, usually the hands.

Welcome aboard! Welcome to Texas! Just so you know, I don't like OU. I am a Cowboy :D

Dove CSSP winters for 2 years in a quality 7mil full suit and assoc., can be done.

Rich i hope you dont speak of OSU cowboys? haha im sorry youre a fan :)

Well alrighty, sounds like a 7mm, hood, and gloves will work! Now just need to start saving for them hah.

Thanks for the info! I do plan on pretty much living out there during the winter so, I'm sure I'll see yall out there!

I'm just waiting for Frank's answer....... :D

I've seen Mr. Poye in 48F water in a farmer John bottom and camoflage neoprene gloves with hood. No sleeves. Now THAT'S a man! Of course it was 100f and sunny during the surface interval.

Hmm well how bad are the winters in central Tx anyways? Do yall get snow/ice at all??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom