Diving at Bangaram Island in the Lakshadweep India

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I have recently returned from a week’s holiday in Bangaram, part of a longer vacation in southern India. Bangaram in the Lakshadweep island chain, the north most extension to the Maldives and is part of India. It is a short flight east from Cochin to Agatti chain and then a 1 hour boat transfer to Bangaram. Bangaram is the only island with an alcohol license.
The resort has a maximum of 60 guests split between family cottages and chalets. The describe themselves as basic but with 24 hour electricity, Aircon, only the lack of hot water matches that description. Food is included, southern Indian, and was fantastic. My only complaint would be that they only barbeque fish fillets not whole fish.
This was not a dive vacation although the diving was one of the reasons to include the visit to the Islands. We rented dive gear, it was modern and adequate, although set up a little heavy breathing for my taste.
The diving is a 2 dive boat trip leaving early morning and returning before lunch.
The boat is large and comfortable if slow with plenty of room to gear up before a back roll of the side or a giant stride off the stern platform.

We only visited 2 of the many dive sites surrounding the Island, mainly as they had students and inexperienced divers onboard. The dives were led by a dive-master with a tail gunner watching over the group. This is a bit of a pain as I am a photographer.
The diving was fair, visibility was fair to good.
The reef was undamaged but not as colourful as I have seen. The fish life was varied with both juvenile and adult fish. The highlight was a 2 meter thresher shark circling just too far away to photograph, apparently very rare in the islands

Now what would I change if I ran the dive operation.
1. Reduce the price it is too expensive
2. Use fast small boats returning between each dive
3. Offer a combination of up to 3 dives per day, 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon
4. Make allowances for photographers

Now some photos.

PA255420.jpg

PA255426.jpg

PA275468.jpg

PA275472.jpg

PA275479.jpg

PA275484.jpg

PA275488.jpg

PA305504.jpg

PA305508.jpg

She who must be obeyed
PA275485.jpg

I dove in agatti island in january 2009, was pretty good I must say, really untouched, as there is only one diving resort centre on the whole island, but waaaaaay too expensive for the dives, 42€ one dive, so u make 2 dives / day it's already 84€.
I was interested to go to the bangaram and kadmath islands in january 2010 but I think I won't as it's really too expensive, especially for India, comon, it's not the maldives.
When did u go to bangaram when u say that the visibility was bad ? When I went to agatti in january the viz was pretty good.
Can u give me more details about what u paid overall for the divings and accommodations ? Was the dive-master Indian or a westerner ?
I took pretty good pics from agatti divings also.

The diving in Bangaram was more expensive, about €53 per dive.
We had a storm mid week and that stirred up the visibility for the second half of the week, but even before that we had about 10 to 15 meter vis.
Supposedly it was close to Manta season and the visibility is better at other times of the year.
We would have done more dives if the cost had been less,

We had a great relaxng week and I would recommend Bangaram to anyone.

Will we be going back, maybe not, lots of other destinations to see.

The diving in Bangaram was more expensive, about €53 per dive.
We had a storm mid week and that stirred up the visibility for the second half of the week, but even before that we had about 10 to 15 meter vis.
Supposedly it was close to Manta season and the visibility is better at other times of the year.
We would have done more dives if the cost had been less,

We had a great relaxng week and I would recommend Bangaram to anyone.

Will we be going back, maybe not, lots of other destinations to see.
53€ / dive, oh my !!!! Ok, that's for sure I will skip this place this time LOL

Back
Top Bottom