Diving around Moss Landing-Seaside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBPacific

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Might be moving to the Moss Landing/Seaside area for a few years and wanted to ask how the diving there is. I Google-mapsed and saw plenty of dive shops around the south side of Monterey Bay but none near the center. Are there places for fills and decent shore diving or would I need to stick to Seaside and south?

The 'back of the bay' around Seaside/Marina/Moss Landing is just sandy beach and sand out to who knows how deep. The structure starts around Breakwater and the Coast Guard pier, goes all the way around the Peninsula and to the back of Carmel Bay. Similarly the back of Carmel Bay is pretty beachy - there is shallow structure just offshore but I don't recall if it's swimmable from Carmel Beach. There's kind of a rock bluff in the middle but I've not been in there. Monastery Beach is a sand entry but you can get to the canyon tip. The edges of Pt. Lobos peninsula, and all the way around heading south, are good structure, but only diveable by boat where allowed. Heading the other direction from Moss Landing - west and north - I don't know the area much but I don't think there's much there. That's just my general overview. The best concentration of shore diving would be along the Monterey city coast.

If you like hunting, then you’ll have a good time diving in the Moss/seaside area for halibut. There is some shale reef structure spread out here and there in that area, but pretty few and far between. As said above, the more diverse spectrum of interest starts with the Breakwater/coast guard jetty. It’s an easy dive, plenty of parking and easy entry.
As you make your way around the peninsula, you’ll find a lot of shore diving. The closer you get to Point Piños, the prevailing wind and swell direction makes the diving much more exposed, though when the conditions allow, its well worth the effort.
Getting into Carmel you’ll find the water temps a bit cooler and the vis a bit better, generally speaking. Lots of shore diving offered there as well. From Carmel south is the Big Sur coast. Absolutely amazing places to dive, and incredibly rugged and very difficult terrain to navigate to most of its limited access. Again, well worth the effort.
You can also try Santa Cruz, though the geology is different on that side of the bay, leaving mostly poor visibility. I’ve found some good days there though.
Hope this helps you out some. I’d advise that if you’re planning to dive in the near future. Fill all your tanks prior to arrival as all dive shops are closed till further notice.
This book may also be a good resource for you... It’s a bit dated but will work fine, and look for a few folks that know the area to show you around. Dive safe.

If you like hunting, then you’ll have a good time diving in the Moss/seaside area for halibut. There is some shale reef structure spread out here and there in that area, but pretty few and far between. As said above, the more diverse spectrum of interest starts with the Breakwater/coast guard jetty. It’s an easy dive, plenty of parking and easy entry.
As you make your way around the peninsula, you’ll find a lot of shore diving. The closer you get to Point Piños, the prevailing wind and swell direction makes the diving much more exposed, though when the conditions allow, its well worth the effort.
Getting into Carmel you’ll find the water temps a bit cooler and the vis a bit better, generally speaking. Lots of shore diving offered there as well. From Carmel south is the Big Sur coast. Absolutely amazing places to dive, and incredibly rugged and very difficult terrain to navigate to most of its limited access. Again, well worth the effort.
You can also try Santa Cruz, though the geology is different on that side of the bay, leaving mostly poor visibility. I’ve found some good days there though.
Hope this helps you out some. I’d advise that if you’re planning to dive in the near future. Fill all your tanks prior to arrival as all dive shops are closed till further notice.
This book may also be a good resource for you... It’s a bit dated but will work fine, and look for a few folks that know the area to show you around. Dive safe.

Thanks for all the info! The earliest I'd be down is September-ish (assuming travel is allowed). This definitely helps me get an idea of what can be available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom