diving around morrungulo or pomene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gabyne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi,

anybody dived in morrungulo - sylvia shoal or pomene? i read the reefs are very good and there are good chances of big fish, f.ex. sailfish, marlin, big cods and also leatherback turtles, some sharks...

thanks for your help,

gaby

I dived Morrungulo in March this year. The reef itself is OK, not too much in the way of corals but full of fish life. Some of the deeper dives are great, Jakes Cracks stands out in my mind. Mantas, Leopard sharks, turtles etc. Even saw a whaleshark.

Here are some pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/65933418@N00/sets/72157600985794759/

Where are you thinking of staying and diving with ?

As far as I could see there aren't many options over there...

Barra at Pomene Lodge or Morrongulo Holiday Resort...

Who did you dive with?

Gaby

Island Style divers at Morrungulo. Small operation, but they took us where we wanted to go.

Could you supply some more info re your trip ie How will you be catering and getting around ?. Morrungulo is far from the nearest restaurants, I think there was only one within walking distance. Otherwise ask at the places you plan to stay regarding meals. We self catered so had no problems with meals.

Thanks for the info!

We've got a rental car, so we're quite flexible. We're coming from Jo'burg and will stay around Tofo for the first few days; if we're fed up with the whalesharks and mantas :wink: then we might go north to Morrungulo and check out the diving there.

So it's not precisely planned, so far... Where did you stay?

Do you have any special tips for the diving there - any "not to miss" places?

What big stuff did you see? Was it worth the effort?

Thanks a lot,
Gaby

I saw theese guys. One on manta reef, the other one off Tofinjo. It was worth the effort (to be honest, quite some effort is involved) :)

cheers

Christian

Attachments

• mantaclose.jpg
    mantaclose.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 73
  • whlshrkfront022007200kb.jpg
    whlshrkfront022007200kb.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 70
You will probably want more than a few days in Tofo - for me nothing less than 7 days because conditions can vary and change over a short period of time. Dive Manta Reef, Office, Amazon, Hogwarts, Giants Castle and Sherwood Forest if you can.

The road to Morrungulo was not in a good state when we travelled it in a 4x4, it may have been fixed by now. It was probably only just driveable in a sedan. We stayed at Morrungulo Holiday resort but we camped.

The photos I linked to were the only things we saw, but we only had 5 days there , your luck may be better than ours. As for sites, the ones I mentioned in an my earlier post are the ones to see.

Warning / The Overland Forum :: View topic - Avoid Baobab Lodge in Morrungulo

Do not expect to drive at an average speed of more than 80Km/hr once you get past Maputo - there is a village every 15 km or so where you have to slow down and it plays havoc with time to travel from place to place. From the border of South Africa to Tofo will take around 9 hours .

Whatever you do DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT !!!

I have driven through Mozambique a few times, please ask for more info if you need it - I am more than willing to help with advice and travel trips.

Too late to catch you before you leave, have a good trip and please report back !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom