Diving around Kanto: Advice Appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sema

Reaction score
I just signed up to Scubaboard, so apologies if I am repeating a question someone had asked already.

Each time I go diving in Japan (Izu, Ooshima, Shikinejima) there seems to be no other way than a package with guide. Once I had a guide in Shikinejima pulling me by leg to indicate I went too far from him (cca 2 meters !!!). Is there any possibility to rent tanks and dive only with buddy? Suggestions especially for Kanto area will be appreciated.

Also, can anyone hook me up with a group over here? I would like to dive more often than my friends… For information, I have all gears except for tank and PADI Rescue Diver certification.

Cheers.

I'm not quite sure of your spelling - where in Japan are Ooshima, and Shikinejima?

Sema:
I just signed up to Scubaboard, so apologies if I am repeating a question someone had asked already.

Each time I go diving in Japan (Izu, Ooshima, Shikinejima) there seems to be no other way than a package with guide. Once I had a guide in Shikinejima pulling me by leg to indicate I went too far from him (cca 2 meters !!!). Is there any possibility to rent tanks and dive only with buddy? Suggestions especially for Kanto area will be appreciated.

Also, can anyone hook me up with a group over here? I would like to dive more often than my friends… For information, I have all gears except for tank and PADI Rescue Diver certification.

Cheers.

We go diving every weekend all around the year. I will pm you. // Thomas

Kim:
I'm not quite sure of your spelling - where in Japan are Ooshima, and Shikinejima?

Ooshima and Shikinejima are 2 of 7 islands of "Izu Islands" group. On good day you can see them from Atami on Izu Peninsula.

Sema:

Each time I go diving in Japan (Izu, Ooshima, Shikinejima) there seems to be no other way than a package with guide.

Take a look in the past posts. You'll need your own buddy, but you can dive without a guide in such dive sites such as Osezaki.

Most of our dives are organized so that people have the benefit of a professional divemaster leading the dives, and getting you back to the shot line so you don't get a haircut. We also allow qualified divers to dive in buddy pairs and follow their own planned profile, if you don't want a guide.

Contact me via e-mail for more information.

Sema,

If you want to just get wet, I would suggest Nebukawa. For a small fee, they Nebukawa dive center will pick you up from the station. It's kind of a long walk with full gear. The reason is, they have put rope lines everywhere. You won't ever get lost as long as you hold on to the rope!

I'm sure you could dive with a buddy there without guide. The owner speaks English and is usually very helpful. Of course, you'll still be hit with the service fee for using their dive shop services, ex. shower, lockers, tables, etc.

Tanks are usually about 2000 to 2500 yen.

Good luck.

Chris

PS: Hey Matt! Happy New Year! If I every dive in cold water, I'll come out to Atami with you!

Universal Diver:
PS: Hey Matt! Happy New Year! If I every dive in cold water, I'll come out to Atami with you!

Hi, Chris, good to see you are still around!

The only diving we seem to do together is for beer...

Do you even have a wetsuit thicker than 3 mm.?

Now, we're diving dry, switching from trilam to compressed neoprene for Jan/Feb diving...

I want to thank you guys for all responses, here or PMs, of which result is that I was able to arrange self-service diving for this weekend, my first in Japan since I got my licence.

We are going to Kawana / Futo / Yahatano diving service in East coast of Izu this coming weekend and miraculously they don't force us to hire guide, go thru 30 guided dives before self-one or other similar inventions.

Hope 7 mm wet suite will do, I checked and the temp should be around 18 C.

The next place I want to visit would be Ooshima or Toshima, the smallest one of Izu islands. I heard the population is only about 50 people and all one can do there is fish or dive. But both are top, so I heard too. Anybody knows more?

Sema:
Hope 7 mm wet suite will do, I checked and the temp should be around 18 C.

The next place I want to visit would be Ooshima or Toshima, the smallest one of Izu islands. I heard the population is only about 50 people and all one can do there is fish or dive. But both are top, so I heard too. Anybody knows more?

Water temps are more like 15 degrees C...it's a big difference from 18, I know, we are going to compressed neoprene suits with full undergarments switching from trilam.

Other sturdy foreigners (I'm cold blooded) are using 2 piece 5 or 6.5 mm. wetsuits, and jumping in warm water as soon as we get back to shore.

Izu Oshima is OK, but look out for our trip in March. We will have a multi day trip to one of the Izu Islands, TBA...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom