Diving around Auckland / Close

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

basicsoul

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello -
I am coming to Auckland for a work trip in early August and was wondering if there were day trips available in or nearby the city?

Thanks

Whilst Auckland is well placed for most things, one thing it hasn't got is fabulous diving right on it's doorstep..... so it depends on what you mean by "close", and whether you want to do shore divesor will be willing to pay for a charter!

Goat Island is probably about the only half decent shore diving near Auckland, it's about an hour drive north. Goat Island Dive also offer boat trips to the inner and outer Hauraki Gulf. There are some good dive sites here, but in my experience often passed by in the need to cater for the hunter gatherers.

A couple of members of SB have their own boats, which makes getting out from Auckland a bit easier.

The best diving is a 3-5hr drive out of Auckland. My personal best dive site in the world is Volkner Rocks, a 5 hour drive to Whakatane and a couple of hours out on the boat. Baker Marine Charters offer liveaboard trips to dive Volkners and the nearby live volcano, White Island.

Slightly closer, and more famous, are the Poor Knights islands about a 3 hour drive north. To come to NZ and not dive the PKs would be a shame.

Expect cool water, temperatures in August will be somewhere between 14 degC (coastal) to 16 degC (if you get offshore into the warmer water).

If you've got any specific questions, feel free to fire away.

I agree with Andy. Diving around Auckland is quite poor. Check out a map to see why.
Once you get out of the gulf things change.
These guys have a boat and get it out most weekends for a dive. They quite often get out of the gulf. There are a few other dive shops around that also do regular trips. But if time allows I recommend you go a bit further afield and do a weekend trip.

Back
Top Bottom