Diving and travel SCAPA FLOW???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We are thinking of diving the wrecks at Scapa Flow next May-june. Any advice on dive shops, charter boats, which wrecks to see, hotels, resturants, pubs, and places to avoid, ect....... would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would reccomend M.V. Invincible. Spent 5 dive days diving the wrecks with them. Very good skipper knows the wrecks well. It's a comfy liveaboard so no problems with accomodation.

Any of the boats in the Orkney dive boat association are fine enough, my favourite is Karin, flat dive deck, plenty of space, any gas on request, dive lift - like most of the boats a converted trawler, so basic by US standards. The boats will be booking up by now, so you'll need to do something soon for a peak season booking. - off for a long weekend there tomorrow :)
Wrecks - cruisers - the Koln, Markgraf is stunning - plus james barry, Tabarka and Doyle
Bars - there are only 3 - all within 200m of the pier, all do food - food is best in the Royal, best beer choice in the Flattie. The Ferry always used to be the place to be, but it's a lot quieter now. There's a nice cafe, Julia's which is nice during the day. Hotels, again the same choice, Stromness Hotel was OK, Ferry was very noisy - if you don't mind basic, do a liveaboard and enjoy a sleep in in the mornings.
Scapa Scuba are the padi centre, good store attatched, I've watched them training over the years, and they have high standards - connected to the Radiant Queen if there are only a couple of you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom