Diving and Ovulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know I am not to dive while pregnant and would not dive during the two weeks post-ovulation while waiting to find out if I became pregnant during a cycle. My question pertains to diving during the first two weeks of a cycle.

My husband and I are doing a 5-day liveaboard and I expect to Ovulate on the last day or two-three days after my last dive. Therefore, it would not even be possible to be pregnant while diving, but rather in the process of ovulating.

Is there any reason not to try to get pregnant during that cycle. Can air bubbles or anything impact an embryo that is conceived immediately following a dive-trip? I can't imagine diving impacts an egg much given that they are always there?

Any medical professionals, researchers or anyone have information on this specific question?

Assuming that you are not already pregnant...based on the timing of the diving and when you could possibly get pregnant (implantation of the fertilized egg), I don't see any reason to restrict your diving habits on your upcoming trip.

Current recommendations to not dive while pregnant are based on the deco stress that would impact the developing fetus once the circulatory system has developed. I suppose that, theoretically speaking, even early embryonic development of the central nervous system could potentially be impacted by nitrogen off/on-gassing. Understand that this is merely a theoretical risk. It should also be noted that certain physiological changes to the expecting mother occur during pregnancy and may place a woman at increased risk of DCS or pulmonary embolism (PE). In particular, the increased risk of PE extends to the post-partum period (research conducted in non-divers). Obviously, PE in the setting of an underwater scenario can be life-threatening.

To my knowledge, very little human research has been done on the topic of deco stress to the fetus. This doesn't mean that it's safe or unsafe (for expecting mother and the fetus) to dive during pregnancy. Since diving is an optional leisure-time activity, the most conservative approach would be to abstain from diving while pregnant.

AFAIK, no research has been done on the impact of deco stress on ovulation, per se.

Divers Alert Network has a webpage which discusses pregnancy-related concerns associated with diving.

Hope this helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom