Diving and Glaocoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Bob

Reaction score
Got to know!!!!!!!!Is it safe to dive with glacoma?I have had this problem for a while, I still dive whenever I can get away, I do limit to seventy feet or less with a average of twenty five to thirty feet per dive. Can you tell me if the pressure of the water will have any effects on the pressure in the eyes?

Hi Uncle Bob,

This is way out my specialty area, but I can provide some educational material.

As you have not specified which of the various types of glaucoma you have, I will limit myself to those manifesting the most common core feature, elevated intraocular pressure. These comprise the vast majority of cases.

Best as I understand it, if there is no other eye disease, no history of eye pathology or surgery that may have created pockets where air could be trapped on ascent, and vision is adequate to the requirements of diving, there should be no major impediment. However, it would seem prudent for the diver to avoid any upside down positions, violent equalizations or other maneuvers that may substantially increase intraocular pressure.

Of course, you will want to obtain clearance from your ophthalmologist.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Glaucoma is a contra-indication to diving only when there is loss of vision to the point that a diver is endangered by this disability. Ambient pressure does not effect the intra-ocular pressure, unless air is present.

More about diving and the eye at http://www.scuba-doc.com/diveye.htm

Thanks for the advice,have talked with my doctor and he said about the same thing..wanted a second opion from the people in the diving world, again thanks I'll go blow bubbles this weekend

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom