diving after mono

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diagnosed with mono (monospot blood test popped positive) a couple weeks ago. I've had symptoms (weakness/lack of energy, little appetite, night sweats, etc) for about 4 weeks now. I'm definitely getting better, probably a bit over half way back to my normal energy level at this point. My appetite is getting better...eating normal foods again, but only about 70% of the quantity that I use to. My doc says to keep taking it easy and get lots of rest and hydration. I haven't asked her about when she'll OK me to start diving again, yet. I have a follow-up scheduled for two weeks and I'll ask her about diving then.

I plan to start easy...mostly shallow dives (~45fsw max) for a month or two after I get back in the water (I'm PADI Deep certified, and averaged about half my dives to ~100 fsw, and half to ~50fsw before getting sick). I'm expecting that it'll be easier to overexert myself due to the residual lacking energy from the mono.

What should I be concerned with and keep in mind when diving after mono?

Hi LoneBrave,

Once your physician clears you for full activity and you've recovered completely and without complications, you should be fine. You could remain contagious for a while, though, so be mindful of sharing regulators or masks.

Best regards,
DDM

Don't push it, though. Mono severely impacts exercise tolerance and mentation; I'd wait until your energy level and stamina are just about normal before I would challenge myself with diving. (Having had mono, I have a powerful respect for the illness.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom