Diving after hernia surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Two weeks ago I had laparoscopic hernia surgery. The operation went extremely well thanks to an excellent surgeon. I was in no pain afterward and didn't even require an aspirin.

The surgeon is an occasion diver. He advised me not to dive for a month after surgery. Of course that (and the bill yet to come) were the worst aspects of the surgery! Four weeks out of the water after averaging 40 dives a month this year is sheer torture. However, I want to be sure to wait long enough so it doesn't recur when I lift up those heavy tanks and weights!

For those who have experienced such surgery, or for the diving doctors on the Board, how long a wait did you ensure or would you recommend before diving again. Keep in mind I am diving "cold" water so I carry a fair bit of weight on my belt and dive with a pony as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bill,

I'd say that as soon as you're cleared for full activity, including lifting, you're probably good to go. Four weeks is about the minimum... six weeks is probably safer but if your surgeon is a diver he knows that it involves heavy lifting. Speedy recovery!

Yeah, given the recurrence rate on all known techniques of hernia repair, I would have said six weeks before lifting. If you can get someone to schlep the gear into the water for you, you can probably dive sooner, but it's the abdominal wall stress with lifting and carrying that puts the repair at risk. I hate to say it, but your age factors in, too -- you really ought to be more conservative than someone younger.

I had a hernia operation 16 years ago. Mine was not keyhole and hurt like hell, I was in pain for weeks. I did my first dive after 7 weeks, only because it was the 40th Anniversary of the sinking of a wreck off Sydney. My buddies put my gear on the boat and I put it on in the water. It was a 50 m (170 feet) dive, but I came through okay. Did more dives but did not lift gear for another 5 weeks, had some good friends to assist me.

Sounds like you will be much better off. Get someone to carry your gear for at least a month I reckon.

Two weeks ago I had laparoscopic hernia surgery. The operation went extremely well thanks to an excellent surgeon. I was in no pain afterward and didn't even require an aspirin.

The surgeon is an occasion diver. He advised me not to dive for a month after surgery. Of course that (and the bill yet to come) were the worst aspects of the surgery! Four weeks out of the water after averaging 40 dives a month this year is sheer torture. However, I want to be sure to wait long enough so it doesn't recur when I lift up those heavy tanks and weights!

For those who have experienced such surgery, or for the diving doctors on the Board, how long a wait did you ensure or would you recommend before diving again. Keep in mind I am diving "cold" water so I carry a fair bit of weight on my belt and dive with a pony as well.

Thanks in advance.
Hello DrBill i had the same surgery feb of this year , the doc used mesh with the repair. Two weeks after surgery i was in for a follow up visit with the doc , all was fine and released on unlimited activity no restraints. I said " that's great because i had a dive scheduled for the following week end" and his reply was have fun. I'm 52 yrs old in good shape but still took it easy and listened to the body went diving with no problems. If you feel good without any tension in said area of repair i say you're good to go.

Appreciate the feedback. As suggested, I will be a bit more cautious about resuming diving even though I already feel great after two weeks. No intention of having the hernia rupture again! Maybe I'll just spend the winter in warmer water where I can dive with less weight!!

You just finish operation, I suggest you take a longer rest. Do you want to know if Hernia Surgery is insignificant, but it still need a period of time to recover. If your doctor is also a scuba diver, so you really should listen to him. Or if you are infected, you can't dive. Do you want to control myself to do some other things to distract your attention.

Back
Top Bottom