Diving after back injury?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mohave_steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone,

I am just dying to get back in the water!! Unfortunately, about two years ago, I fell off the roof of my house and injured my back. Now after many months in a brace and physical therapy I am more mobile and capable. Not 100% but enough that I could go diving if I had some help with my gear and getting in and out of the water.

I could probably pull off a day of diving without much help but I would be risking re-injury and would certainly pay for it for a few days after.

I really hate to have to ask for help.

How would you all approach seeking help?

Ask other divers on the boat ho help me?

Ask the crew?

Call the dive operator ahead of time and try to arrange for help on the dive trip?

Thanks

S.

I would contact the operator ahead of time, most of them will have no problem accommodating you. Please make sure to tip the crew appropriately if you need additional assistance.

I have had back surgery to replace 2 discs. Years before that I worked on live aboards for many years. Just explain to the captain and crew that you would like to put you tank on and off in the water. Most are very accommodating, and a little grease (money, as in generous tip), go a long way.

My surgery was over 10 years ago and I still sometimes need extra help. The crew will appreciate that you are being up-front,it’s better than a surprise during the trip.

I had my L5-S1 fused last June, after years of issues.... as soon as my doc ok'd a 25 lb limit, my usual dive buddy volunteered to carry my rig to and from the water so I could gear up without ever lifting/walking with it (we mostly shore dive). I'm in better shape now, so if you end up out this way (lower Alabama) I'd happily help as I was helped... and plenty of people will (including dive ops). In short, talk it over with your buddy, and call ahead to the dive op... I doubt anyone would complain.

Best,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom