Divi Divi/EZ Air question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleomagic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking to head back to Bonaire in September - this will be our 10th trip there! Normally we fly United through Houston to Bonaire; however, as many have noted in other threads, United is not flying that route to Bonaire until \November (maybe).

So, Plan B - we are looking at flying United to Curacao, and then taking either a Divi Divi or EZ Air flight to Bonaire. We have our normal dive gear (50.0lbs dry), one bag of misc dive stuff (regulators, extra masks, batteries, etc), clothing (aka extra padding) which is probably 40lbs. Additionally, we have our not so light camera equipment, laptops, etc. Which is another couple of bags that we normally carry on. How stringent is Divi Divi or Easy Air on the weight limits? Any recommendations of one over the other?

Thank you for any words of wisdom you can send our way.

We are looking to head back to Bonaire in September - this will be our 10th trip there! Normally we fly United through Houston to Bonaire; however, as many have noted in other threads, United is not flying that route to Bonaire until \November (maybe).

So, Plan B - we are looking at flying United to Curacao, and then taking either a Divi Divi or EZ Air flight to Bonaire. We have our normal dive gear (50.0lbs dry), one bag of misc dive stuff (regulators, extra masks, batteries, etc), clothing (aka extra padding) which is probably 40lbs. Additionally, we have our not so light camera equipment, laptops, etc. Which is another couple of bags that we normally carry on. How stringent is Divi Divi or Easy Air on the weight limits? Any recommendations of one over the other?

Thank you for any words of wisdom you can send our way.
Taking United LAX to Aruba stop at Ohare then Divi to Bonaire with a stop in Curacao. Leaving July 2nd. Returning through Houston.

Let us know how it goes!

We did finalize our airfare - we are going the SFO -> Panama -> Curacao (United via Copa Airlines). Then EZAir from Curacao -> Bonaire. We are reversing it coming back. We found it to be a lot cheaper to come back via Curacao than Bonaire. Flights from the US to Bonaire were too $$.

Enjoy your trip! We are looking forward to going in September

We just did a 10 day trip to Bonaire (7 days) and Aruba (3 days) and took Divi Divi from BON to AUA. The trick is to prepay on Divi Divi's website for your overweight bag(s). We paid for one overweight/oversized bag and when the guy at the counter in BON noticed that, everything got super easy. We carry our air gear and electronics in our backpacks which means nobody pays attention to that weight anyway, but we always carry one huge suitcase with our fins, travel BCD's, etc. and it's always a struggle to keep it under 50 pounds so we just commit to having one heavy bag.

BTW, we loved the Divi Divi experience. Going from BON to AUA means a short layover in CUR, so be forewarned that Divi Divi doesn't staff their gates until they're literally ready to board you. That got a little nerve wracking as we watched the time tick closer and closer, but suddenly a very nice gal appeared and immediately ushered everyone out to the bus and thence to the de Havilland Twin Otter (their entire fleet is just six Twin Otters!). The staff was awesome, the planes were snug but a hoot for such puddle jumping, and overall it was a great day. I monitored our flight on GPS and they flew at 4000 MSL and ~200 MPH between the islands.

I highly recommend Divi Divi and look forward to flying them again - and not just because it means we've returned to the ABC's! {grin}

We just did a 10 day trip to Bonaire (7 days) and Aruba (3 days) and took Divi Divi from BON to AUA. The trick is to prepay on Divi Divi's website for your overweight bag(s). We paid for one overweight/oversized bag and when the guy at the counter in BON noticed that, everything got super easy. We carry our air gear and electronics in our backpacks which means nobody pays attention to that weight anyway, but we always carry one huge suitcase with our fins, travel BCD's, etc. and it's always a struggle to keep it under 50 pounds so we just commit to having one heavy bag.

BTW, we loved the Divi Divi experience. Going from BON to AUA means a short layover in CUR, so be forewarned that Divi Divi doesn't staff their gates until they're literally ready to board you. That got a little nerve wracking as we watched the time tick closer and closer, but suddenly a very nice gal appeared and immediately ushered everyone out to the bus and thence to the de Havilland Twin Otter (their entire fleet is just six Twin Otters!). The staff was awesome, the planes were snug but a hoot for such puddle jumping, and overall it was a great day. I monitored our flight on GPS and they flew at 4000 MSL and ~200 MPH between the islands.

I highly recommend Divi Divi and look forward to flying them again - and not just because it means we've returned to the ABC's! {grin}
I so wish I had got this July 1st. Landed Aruba 7/3 and took Divi for the first time either went direct in the past or took Insel Air which had much larger planes. NO kidding about the gate - I went to get food and my wife yells hurry up they are loading the bus and we had no idea it was a puddle jumper. Anyway yes our dive bag was over $22.00. We are here now and two days diving been great but windy. Wife's corded HP hose blew right before our 2nd dive today Dive Friends Port Bonaire replaced for us and we were on our way.

wife's corded HP hose blew right before our 2nd dive today
I hope all the people who say that SPGs are bulletproof see this!

Back
Top Bottom