Diveyak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannobee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
How are those things? I've got a line on a ST6696 (the old style two person black one) for pretty cheap, and I'm asking for opinions. I have a regular boat already, but it'd be a hassle to haul it just to go diving a few hundred yards off the beach.
Anyone have experience with these? Will all the dive equipment for two people fit on one? I've heard they are pigs to paddle, but I'll just sit in the back and make my daughter do the work :eyebrow:

I've only used the hardshell, not the inflatable. It was convenient, but I agree - not the easiest thing to paddle. But even harder was trying to get back on it. Finally got the hang of it after capsizing the darn thing with my wife already on it and all :D I would imagine it might be difficult to get over surf with full dive gear and all. Where are you planning on using it?

Not sure how cheap you're getting it for, but check this out:

http://store.yahoo.com/inflatablesstore/sv-st6656.html

These folks look like they have better prices than LP. (I know nothing about them - just found 'em while looking around)
Rick

I have the Black 2 person diveyak and like it and recommend it. I got mine for about what Rick's site charges. The black ones are very stable and are rated to 600lbs. They have a webbing in the bow for fins, big mesh pockets on the seat backs for masks, tie downs (under your knee area) for weight belts or pockets and an area in the back big enough for 2 BCs with tanks with 4 straps to make them secure. I've had no problems getting onto it, there are handles on the sides to grab, and it is only about 2" above the waterline.

Last time we dove with it we paddled with our wetsuits rolled down and found the yak more than adequately stable to finish gearing up. Without the restriction of the 7mm wetsuit paddling the yak wasn't to bad. I am one of the folks that has called this a pig, but it really isn't all that bad for the typcial close in dives in monterey / carmel.

Rob

dannobee:
How are those things? I've got a line on a ST6696 (the old style two person black one) for pretty cheap, and I'm asking for opinions. I have a regular boat already, but it'd be a hassle to haul it just to go diving a few hundred yards off the beach.
Anyone have experience with these? Will all the dive equipment for two people fit on one? I've heard they are pigs to paddle, but I'll just sit in the back and make my daugther do the work :eyebrow:

Thought you might want to check out the ones at ScubaDestination.com. I do not know the price you paid but I just ordered one from them, because they were they lowest price I could find.
When I get mine I will let you know how it is.

Kayaks take a bit to learn. I took a course give n by an out doors store in a pool. Kinda helped. I have roll a few times in the ocean but no big deal.

I think a common beginner mistake is to get a kayak with the intention of putting two people on it--bad move. Each person needs their own kayak. Two people wiggling around and all that gear---very nearly impossible in my opinion. Further, anything big enough to carry two people is to big for one person alone.
Kayak diving has to be done in a very methodical and planned fashion. One piece of gear out or in the well at a time, everything bungeed, ports closed each time an itme is removed or stowed---per item!!!!! Two people on one kayak---holy cow batman. N

I took a semester of kayaking in college (It was a senior recreation class that I needed to graduate. I guess underwater basketweaving was no longer offered, but it seemed similar at the time. Little did I know...), so I'm somewhat familiar with kayaks, but these were hardshell, not inflatables, and I certainly wouldn't want to try to dive two peeps off of one. But this thing looks over 3 feet wide and pretty stable.

Oh, and it's still for sale, even cheaper than the other links. The shop owner's practically begging me to take it off of his hands. Certainly way below cost.

Floridian, let me know what you think. I'm all ears. I'll keep teasing the shop owner until I hear back from you. :eyebrow:

The one you are talking about (Sevlor 2 person black) isn't your typical diveyak. It is very stable and just what the dr. ordered for a quick paddle over to bluefish cove or comparable sites. If you're diving off maui like Gilligan or off florida, then go for 2 hard shells, but for our typical Monterey / Carmel sites, it works well for me. And you can't beat the price.

Rob

I went looking after you mentioned a lower price and found one at ScubaDestination.com. I should be receiving mine either Friday or Monday. I will keep you posted. As soon as I get it I plan on practicing before I do this but, I am planning on using mine with the kids in Mississippi end of March. Then use it a lot to get used to it on the lakes here in Missery(Missouri). Then in July I and my dive buddy will be giving it a try in Florida(Cocoa Beach adn Marathon Keys). I have been reading a lot about this Diveyak, some good and some complaints. I will let you know how it goes with me, in the lakes, rivers and Shore dives.

Back
Top Bottom