Question Divevolk vs Insta360x4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

Has anyone used both the divevolk and insta360x4 underwater to share their thoughts on which is better?

I'd like to upgrade from my GoPro 8 and and also consider a drone. To save money, the insta360x4 checks all boxes because it seems to be a great underwater option, takes drone-like photos (up to a point) and then I'd have my iPhone.

The divevolk however, is amazing for land photos and underwater photos with the right housing, and then I'd purchase a drone.

Anyway, I'm just trying to find someone that has used both underwater options to share their pros/cons or comparison of the two.

Thanks so much!

The divevolk however, is amazing for land photos and underwater photos with the right housing,
The divevolk isn't a camera.

The divevolk isn't a camera.
yep, of course, but it's the housing that holds the amazing iPhone camera I have, which is my argument that it's a good option because with the same phone, I can take land and underwater shots and then purchase a drone.

Or the Insta360x4 which does a bit of all but I would also have to bring my phone.

I just got the Divevolk Platinum for my S24 Ultra and have been loving it. I had the original for an Note S10. The new platinum is aluminum and high quality albeit quite heavier. Also has a built in lens adapter. Most of my dives are around 4 hours. 3 hours of deco. I tie it to the anchor line at 70ish feet and pick it up to shoot with until I hit my 20' stop. It then does double duty to watch movies and read books while I deco out.
I also have an X3. The low light capabilities are dismal but I hear the X4 is a bit better. I use the X3 mounted to a ULCA ball on a 5# weight to drop on some nice scenery at 20' before heading back to the anchor line. At those depths it gets usable footage and makes for some interesting video as everything interacts diffferently in the absences of a diver. I'm rigging up a short carbon pole to mount to my dpv to get some cruising footage. Be aware of the acryclic housing durability though. Seems like if you look at them wrong they scratch. I bought a silicone cover for mine but I consider the housing to be an item that needs frequent replacement if used a lot in anything but the calmest conitions.
It really comes down to what your objectives are. Your Iphone is likely to out perform the X4 for traditional shooting while offering full access to other apps in the Divevolk housing if thats something youll use. The X4 shines at creating unique perspectives with a pretty good post production software but requires more care.

I have both. For the divevolk, I dont find it work very well with drygloves, and you have to use an app to keep the screen constantly on throughout your dive. Most phone cameras are not configured to take vids in underwater low light situations ( cold water diving in BC) anyways, tropics is better. The dji action 4 is better quality than the gopro in terms of footage and low light situations. If i remembered corectly from my research the X4 isnt much better in terms of quality, but it does have 360.

I have both. For the divevolk, I dont find it work very well with drygloves, and you have to use an app to keep the screen constantly on throughout your dive. Most phone cameras are not configured to take vids in underwater low light situations ( cold water diving in BC) anyways, tropics is better. The dji action 4 is better quality than the gopro in terms of footage and low light situations. If i remembered corectly from my research the X4 isnt much better in terms of quality, but it does have 360.
You dont have to keep the screen on the whole time. For Samsung in accessability settings I set mine for double tap to turn on/off screen. Also a floating button that gives me access to home, back, settings, ect so I dont have to press against the bottom of the membrane. Divevolk has tutorials on their page for iPhone too. For drygloves you can get a stylus with a rubber nub but kind of annoying to have another thing to interact with. I agree that wth PNW vis might not be the best but flagship phone cameras are getting pretty good.

You dont have to keep the screen on the whole time. For Samsung in accessability settings I set mine for double tap to turn on/off screen. Also a floating button that gives me access to home, back, settings, ect so I dont have to press against the bottom of the membrane. Divevolk has tutorials on their page for iPhone too. For drygloves you can get a stylus with a rubber nub but kind of annoying to have another thing to interact with. I agree that wth PNW vis might not be the best but flagship phone cameras are getting pretty good.

I had the floating button but the phone didn't have the function to double tap to on. The new phones are getting really good, but a action cam is compact and gets better footage - quick start for recording makes sure you don't miss any rare creatures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom