DiveSeekers merging with Scubadelphia, Hillsborough NJ location closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatMen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Scubadelphia purchases the .com business and NJ loses another local dive shop. This is quite a loss for NJ divers as this was a great LDS.

Yes a sad day for sure, this means that in the last year the two shops closest to me with O2 boosting capabilities have closed. :(

Yes a sad day for sure, this means that in the last year the two shops closest to me with O2 boosting capabilities have closed. :(
What other options do we now have in central NJ (or anywhere in NJ), especially for service?

Can happen anywhere to any LDS. People, keep on purchasing online without even giving LDS a chance to price match, and this will occur more and more. Most divers need a local facility to get air fills, repair services, training, etc. not every one wants to or can DIY with repairs or air fills. Taught a class last weekend, while 2 students purchased gear at our facility 4 did not. For the most part the 4 who purchased elsewhere purchased wrong or faulty gear that either did not fit properly or were difficult to use. One female had fins she could not remove herself when attempting a exit on a ladder. Another small female had very stiff fins and due to her marginal fitness level and swim ability had difficulty completing swim assessment distance. One of them rudely tried on a 3mm wet suit , got the proper size from our sales people and then did not purchase. After seeing that on sales floor , I made a comment in a class presentation about how in the past a woman did exactly the same thing and purchased a suit online, same exact model she tried on in store, and wound up paying $20 MORE than what we had on the price tag. This LDS also has no issue with price matching and even encourages it by researching price online at point of sale.

What other options do we now have in central NJ (or anywhere in NJ), especially for service?

For service I'd go to Atlantis Aquatics in Bethlehem, PA. They are a good outfit and the owner Jim is a pretty nice guy. I know the service guy and have gotten regs O2 cleaned and rebuilt there with great results.

Another option is DiversTwo near Belmar, NJ -- I'm personally not a big fan but they seem to be doing very well for themselves so I imagine a lot of people must be happy there.

Bluewater divers is in north jersey -- though I've been in there before.

You can also make the trek to Northeast Scuba Supply or Scubadelphia, both near Philly.

Long drive for all of those places from Central NJ...

I 2nd Divers Two in Avon. Joe the owner is a great guy and he hasn’t failed me yet with service. I been a customer for 13 years with no issues. They do a good amount or new and continued certifications.

... People, keep on purchasing online without even giving LDS a chance to price match, and this will occur more and more. Most divers need a local facility to get air fills, repair services, training, etc. not every one wants to or can DIY with repairs or air fills...

We are sorry to see any dive shop close, especially one as good as DiveSeekers. However, from the stand point of someone who has run both local and online, as did they, it's not the online sale of dive equipment that is damaging the future of diving. It's the nature of the recreational dive industry and it's seeming dysfunctional inability to adapt to the rapidly evolving landscape of consumer expectations and behaviors. The fear, uncertainty and doubt created by the vague "Where will you get fills if you don't buy local?" refrain that I've heard for 15 years isn't the answer, it's part of the problem. The existing moribund infrastructure of the recreational diving retail supply chain that works very hard to maintain our deeply embedded status quo is the reason for the gradual decline of the sport in the USA. The good news is, eventually this will collapse and be rapidly replaced by a services oriented approach that attracts the next generation of divers who will revitalize the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom