Divers: What’s your experience with underwater communication systems? Insights needed for new wireless tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilona_bst

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi fellow divers,

I’m part of a group of students and researchers developing a wireless, interference-free voice communication system for divers. Our project integrates advanced hydroacoustic technologies, noise-canceling algorithms, and neural networks to enhance the clarity and reliability of underwater communication.

We’re in the process of gathering feedback from divers to better shape the device. Here are a few questions I’m hoping to get insights on. It would be really helpful to us if you could share your thoughts on these:

1. What types of underwater communication systems do you currently use? (e.g., full-face masks with built-in comms, hardwired systems, etc.)
  2. How long have you been using these systems, and how do you find them in terms of usability? What are their main strengths and weaknesses in your experience?
  3. If a wireless communication device eliminated the need for full-face masks or hardwired systems, would you consider using it?
  4. Would this be an improvement for you? What specific tasks do you rely on underwater communication for? (e.g., safety coordination, technical work, etc.)
  5. What challenges have you faced using current underwater communication systems?
  6. In your opinion, what is the optimal range (depth and distance) for effective wireless underwater communication?
  7. How often do you perform technical dives without hardwired communication systems?
We want to create the BEST underwater communication system to date. Any feedback would be helpful to us.
Hoping to hear from you soon:)

Here’s an idea (that wouldn’t really open up the bigger slice of rec market, but would widen the market base):
The ability to talk in a comm system underwater is greatly limited by the ability to talk, one big reason FFMs are a big part of it
Rebreather divers tho do talk to one another (thanks to conductivity of water, and the presence of a DSV/BOV)
Maybe an „insert“ mic for the DSV that can extend the range of comms could be something to look into? 🤷🏽‍♀️
I haven’t used any UW Comm system but I would be interested in that (maybe even with really good DSP and filtering the usecase can be extended to normal reg mouthpieces)
For your questionnaire:
1. n/a
2. N/a
3. Yes
4. Yes, team diving and safety procedures (I’m a sport diver so no real tasks at hand, but I can think of lots of use cases like scientific diving, commercial…)
5. N/a
6. I would be impressed if 10 m range (underwater) can be achieved wirelessly, certainly would extend the “buddy” distance, 20-50m would be awesome and highly justify costs (based on assumptions about cost)
7. All the time (never used a comm system)

Here’s an idea (that wouldn’t really open up the bigger slice of rec market, but would widen the market base):
The ability to talk in a comm system underwater is greatly limited by the ability to talk, one big reason FFMs are a big part of it
Rebreather divers tho do talk to one another (thanks to conductivity of water, and the presence of a DSV/BOV)
Maybe an „insert“ mic for the DSV that can extend the range of comms could be something to look into? 🤷🏽‍♀️
I haven’t used any UW Comm system but I would be interested in that (maybe even with really good DSP and filtering the usecase can be extended to normal reg mouthpieces)
For your questionnaire:
1. n/a
2. N/a
3. Yes
4. Yes, team diving and safety procedures (I’m a sport diver so no real tasks at hand, but I can think of lots of use cases like scientific diving, commercial…)
5. N/a
6. I would be impressed if 10 m range (underwater) can be achieved wirelessly, certainly would extend the “buddy” distance, 20-50m would be awesome and highly justify costs (based on assumptions about cost)
7. All the time (never used a comm system)
Thank you so much for your answer! That's really useful to know. 😊

Cool, that's great to know. It's exactly what we're working on. 😊
Anything to help, and best of luck — would love to know more as it develops so keep us posted :wink:

The issue we found with wireless, was metal sea walls would screw with it, so we switched to hardwire.

1. I've briefly used wired comms in a hard hat and wireless in FFM.
  2. Weakness is the requirement for FFM, pretty much eliminates any desire for them outside of working environments.
  3. Yes, especially if instructing.
  4. Coordination
  5. Requirement for install into FFM meant they were rarely used even when it would have made for a much easier job.
  6. Diver to diver 10-15m would be useful, surface to diver would need to be 100m direct line. Comms which function while using DPVs would be even better.
  7. I exclusively do technical dives without comms at present.

Oh dear load… I think if people could talk to me UW it would ruin diving. Diving for me is about immersing myself (literally and figuratively) in an alien world and escaping what’s above. It’s similar to being on a liveaboard that goes to remote destinations when there is no or severely limited (becoming more and more difficult!) connectivity with the “real world” for 12 days. That’s my heaven.

Once you bring the above world underwater, the entire experience is ruined. Although I dive with a buddy, I’m still alone in my thoughts, observations, and experience. After the dive, is the time to talk and share. Only a young, new diver would even contemplate such an abomination in my old, experienced opinion.

1. FFM with wired mike, plug in before I drop into the tank.
  2. <6 months. Usability is ok, but takes a bit of practice to get used to. Hard to hear if you are exhaling. Mic has to be very close to your mouth to pick up your voice, still get feedback from the surface that it is hard to understand. Wired means limited range of movement and extra entanglement risk.
  3. Not the decision maker for where I use comms now, but yes. Curious how you eliminate FFM and keep the ability to talk though.
  4. Maybe. I just volunteer in an aquarium. Need a way to stay in touch with the surface support team and sometimes other divers. Safety feature mostly, though some exhibits use it for presentations.
  5. Unless mic is positioned perfectly surface team has a hard time hearing/understanding divers. Once you are in the water next to impossible to adjust mic position.
  6. For rec I'd say maybe 30m depth, 10m range. For tech/working situations the range should be far expanded. Need to account for surface to diver comms, and extreme depths.
  7. N/A Not a technical diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom