divers-supply.com. Legitimate equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les,

Divers Supply is a legitimate company like the others here have said. They are authorized dealer of everything they sell. They also carry Sea Elite, which is their own line of equipment. It's also good equipment and almost all of it is a "duplicate" of a name brand piece of gear that is made in the same factory as the name brand ones are. It's just not as well known because they are smaller in stores than all the other dealers. You'll find some LDS's and other folks bashing Sea Elite, but chances are they've never owned it. Most folks you find that have owned Sea Elite have no problems with it and are happy with it.

Divers Supply made it's niche by starting out with catalog sales of equipment. They don't sale ScubaPro because ScubaPro's dealer agreement doesn't allow catalog, mail order, or internet sales of their equipment. That's the only reason you don't see it and other brands at this shop.

As for the wetsuit, I agree, that as a new diver, the best way to obtain a "best fit" on a wetsuit is to try it on in the shop. The shop can help you obtain the best fit. This is important because a poorly fitting wetsuit that is too loose will allow more water movement and reduce it's capacity to keep you warm.

Shop around on the net and do a little research and then head to your local LDS. Chances are they might match or lower their price to meet the internet price. If they go to the trouble of helping you select a wetsuit, obtaining proper fit, telling you benefits of different suits, then you've also gotten some "value add" from your LDS on the wetsuit. The extra few bucks they charge for that are worth it in the long run instead of getting a wetsuit that doesn't fit or doesn't have right features for your diving needs.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Sicel1304:
So, in other words, I shouldn't be concerned about their lack of Scuba-Pro products? I'm just curious, because all I "think" I know about Scuba Pro, is that they are the best of the best. I see a lot of "Henderson" and "Neosport"...all are those all good brands?

Hey Les;

Why do you say that Scuba Pro is the best of the best. I don't have any experience with Scuba Pro good or bad so I am not trying to argue, just asking.

I have been using a 3mm Henderson for the past three years. I like the Hyperstretch stuff, they are just pretty expensive, but it has held up well. I am also being told now that "Bare" brand wetsuits are very good. I am looking around too since I would like to get a 7mm.

I will say that you can't beat the advice you get from a LDS.

TOM

I had an okay experience with Diver's Supply a few years back. I've had better experiences with other online dealers. It's already been said, but Scuba Pro doesn't allow Internet sales. You will find some SP items online, but those stores are not authorized dealers for them. ScubaToys used to be an authorized dealer, but dropped the line because of the restrictions, so you might find some SP stuff they had left over in their inventory.

I've personally had really good experiences with Divers Supply. I order all my manifolds and some of my bands from them. All the Sea Elite equipment I have seen has been very good quality...maybe not the best but good.

Scubapro is good, they make mostly quality gear. But you'll always have the Ford vs. Chevy argument. Some like Ford, some like Chevy.

BTW Ford stands for Found On Road Dead.

When I was a newer scuba diver I never really liked divers supply. They seemed to carry mostly lower end items. They carry more stuff now though, last time I was there that had some poseidon stuff among other things.

Brent

in response that they only carried "low end items" in the past.... they didn't carry stuff like Aqualung, Scuba Pro, Atomics, etc because those manufacturers don't allow catalong/mail/online sales.

They don't sell stuff that they can't sell in their catalog. Thats what limits them. They do sell OMS, DiveRite, etc now (which allows catalog sales).

I was trying to buy my first dive equipment at divers supply. I had some questions to the products and shipping as these information is missing on the website. I wrote multiple emails and never received an answer in under 5 days. I had to call them everytime and the employees were unmotivated to answer my questions. I then placed the order and my order didn't went through because of "fraud detection". I invested multiple hours in getting up just one order. I still wait on answers to my questions in my emails. Let's see if they will get answered or not. I don't think so. Also the Shop is very slow and unperformant. I received a tons of times a "503 Service Unavailable"-Message. What a mess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom