Divers in Similan Islands Limited to 525 Per Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
According to a recent article in the Bangkok Post (Parks officials refuse to budge over Similan quota) the government is going to stick to its plan to limit the number of divers allowed to dive in the Similan Islands to 525 per day and the number of non-diver tourists to 3325 for a total of 3850 visitors per day.

Tour operators are required to purchase tickets for their customers and must supply copies of their ID cards or passports.

Anyone know how this will actually work? It seems especially prioblematic for operators who cater to divers who make arrangements months in advance. Will they be able to buy tickets for their customers months in advance?

Ah, well, it's Thailand. Things will work out….

Tickets can be bought 60 days in advance, and at the moment are being bought as much in advance as possible.

Nobody knows right now how it is going to work out. I think more people will be allowed in, but will be fined by the rangers, not the park, for the same amount as the fees are, and those fees will disappear.

I think more people will be allowed in, but will be fined by the rangers, not the park, for the same amount as the fees are, and those fees will disappear.

So, business as usual….

Thanks, I hadn't read about the 60 day advance purchase provision. That makes some sense for those who need to plan ahead.

Tobermory sits in the middle of Bruce Peninsula National Park. As well as a large chunk of the Bruce Peninsula, there are several islands included. Only one of those islands is open to the public "technically". That island, Flowerpot Island, is visited by maybe 10 large tour boats daily, but I believe there is a daily limit of 1000 passengers that can actually landed on the island. (Many of the boats just tour around the island.)

My point is only that limiting tourism isn't new. In fact, I think it's pretty common in most national park areas.

My point is only that limiting tourism isn't new. In fact, I think it's pretty common in most national park areas.

I don't have any problem with limits on visitors. It's a good idea for places that have become overly crowded. My only concern was on the implementation. The rules and procedures had not been made clear in anything I read. It's good to know about the 60 day advance purchase arrangement.

Does this apply to Similans only, or to Surin and Richelieu Rock as well?
Right now Similans only.

Most liveaboards though do a combination to both national parks (Similans and Surin), and daytrip operators also have both on offer. This means that from what I've seen also the trips to Richelieu Rock have been adapted in that passport information etc. has to be handed over on booking.

Personally I expect the same official rules to be applied to Surin next season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom