Divers from Qatar? Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemoncloud

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently in Norway but I'll soon be moving to Qatar and I finally want to learn to dive. My snorkeling equipment is in a storage box far away and I won't be able to get it before leaving. This move was not planned :shakehead:

Basically, I'm not sure if I'll be able to dive as I had problems with my ears in the past. Everything seems ok now but I'll only know when I'm able to get below 4-5 meters. I do want to snorkel again and thus need some new euipment.

My big question is if I should buy mask, fins and snorkel while still in Norway, or in Doha? And is there a difference between snorkeling and diving mask and fins?

cheers,
lemoncloud

Most divers use booties with fins, while most snorkelers use footed fins. But it is a matter of preference, I saw a dive guide in Hawaii using footed fins and my 8 year old snorkeler uses booties. I don't think there is any difference in the masks.

Good luck with your move!

for the masks; you'll need one whichits lenses are made from tempered glass (it is mentioned on the lens "tempered" or "T") some snorkeling masks are made from polycarbonate (plastic) that won't be usable for diving.
For Eqpt. we have 3 stores in town: Mares dealer, scubapro dealer and ours carries Oceanic.
BTW, we have a very active group of divers here in Qatar - diving every weekend.
drop me a line (PM) if you feel like it.
mostly for specific eqpt, we order online.
wish to hear from you soon.
:)

Thanks the both of you for your answers.

I guess my old snorkelling mask was just from plastic so I don't feel bad about not having it with me anymore.

maged_mmh: thanks for your offer. First I need to get all the brevets I need for that :D but it's good to know there are active people. Do you know how the basic equipment prices compare to Europe?

As I won't be staying on the Gulf for too long I'll probably have to rent all the other equipment. If I like diving then I'll probably buy everything I need once I live somewhere for a bit longer. :confused:

prices are nearly the same as Europe sans the VAT.
your plan is good to rent, but anticipate a pricing similar to that of resorts though - however diving is not as near amusing - but it is diving anyway!
just do not get a brand that you won't be able to service wherever you settle down.
if you're planning to get certified prior to coming over; you can do it in Europe if you prefer the cooler water. In most cases, your 1st course "open water" will include all the equipment you need during the training period except maybe mask, snorkel, and fins.

prices are nearly the same as Europe sans the VAT.
your plan is good to rent, but anticipate a pricing similar to that of resorts though - however diving is not as near amusing - but it is diving anyway!
just do not get a brand that you won't be able to service wherever you settle down.
if you're planning to get certified prior to coming over; you can do it in Europe if you prefer the cooler water. In most cases, your 1st course "open water" will include all the equipment you need during the training period except maybe mask, snorkel, and fins.

Thanks a lot again.

I don't have the time anymore to get certified here. Well, it's still 4 weeks but those are filled with other things, and the Norwegian waters are cold.

I'm currently considering doing the theory for at least the Open Water Diver in Doha, and the practical part during a holiday in September/October. I don't want to waste my holiday sitting in a class room nor get too much Doha sun in the summer. Then do a more advanced course once temperatures in Doha are down.

Does anyone know if splitting a course into 2 parts and different schools is possible at all? :confused:

you can do that; it's called referral (at least in PADI it is possible, AFAIK).
but again if you gonna be in Doha for 2 weeks you can finish the whole thing (practical parts will take only 2 weekends).

you can do that; it's called referral (at least in PADI it is possible, AFAIK).
but again if you gonna be in Doha for 2 weeks you can finish the whole thing (practical parts will take only 2 weekends).

Hmm.. it might be worth considering. But I'll first have to see how I deal with the temperatures there. If the practical part is in the sea instead of a roofed pool I might need to wait until autumn, or do it on a less wam holiday destination as my skin is not made for such extreme climate - or wear a complete body protection suit in the water :D. Worst case I'll be hiding inside until things cool down a bit :shakehead::popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom