Divers Find WWII Submarine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaberman1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Sounds cool...

Copy and paste the link, apparantely I am not allowed to post a url yet...

news.aol.com/article/wwii-soviet-submarine-found/521187?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fwwii-soviet-submarine-found%2F521187

Sounds cool...

Copy and paste the link, apparantely I am not allowed to post a url yet...

news.aol.com/article/wwii-soviet-submarine-found/521187?icid=main|main|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fwwii-soviet-submarine-found%2F521187

Copy of the article for those that can't access AOL:

Reuters (June 9) - Swedish and Finnish divers have located the wreck of a Soviet submarine sunk during World War Two in the Baltic Sea, the team said on Tuesday.
The wreck of the submarine, the S-2, which sank in 1940 with a crew of 46 and four passengers, was found in waters around Aland, a chain of islands in the strait separating Finland and Sweden.

Watery GraveStefan Hogeborn, Scanpix / Reuters3 photos A diver examines the deck gun of a Soviet submarine that was sunk in the Baltic Sea during World War II. The S-2, which sank in 1940 with a crew of 46 and four passengers, was found in waters around Aland, a chain of islands in the strait separating Finland and Sweden

"After having searched a large water area, a diving team from Sweden and Aland found the wreck in the Aland Sea near the border between Sweden and Finland," the divers said in a statement.
"The wreck had split in three. The rear and middle parts are there, but the front part is missing," Marten Zetterstrom, one of the divers, told Reuters.
Swedish and Finnish war-time records say the Soviet submarine struck a mine as it cruised through the archipelago in January 1940, the team of divers from Sweden and Aland said. Russian authorities had been notified of the find.
The divers, who had mounted the search at their own expense, had been looking for the submarine for more than a decade when they finally found it.
"My feelings were mixed. There it was, this war machine that was built to take ships down. I was happy, sad, depressed and elated all at once," Zetterstrom said.
At the time the submarine disappeared, the Soviet Union was at war with Finland while Sweden had declared itself neutral in the conflict during which many ships of different nations were sunk in the Baltic Sea.
Copyright 2009, Reuters
2009-06-09 22:39:10

No big deal, actually. Gary Gentile found that wreck years ago--he just didn't tell anybody. :wink:

Must be very cool to participate in a discovery such as that. Perhaps there is some family back home that will get some closure.

No big deal, actually. Gary Gentile found that wreck years ago--he just didn't tell anybody. :wink:

:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom