Divers clean up Mactan reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DonCebu

Contributor
Reaction score
Sunstar Newspaper - Divers clean up Mactan reefs

DIVERS gathered sacks of garbage they fished out of the sea, off Barangay Punta Engaño, Lapu-Lapu City.

The divers conducted an underwater cleanup in the area last May 28, as part of the Save a Reef Project, an initiative that involves various activities—including an education drive in the community—aimed to protect and conserve coral reefs.

Plastic bags, bottles and even a used fishing net about 10 meters long, were just a few of the things that the divers removed from a reef off Punta Engaño.

Save a Reef Project founder Rudy Balbuena said garbage contributes to the degradation of coral reefs.

Other factors that destroy reefs, he said, include harmful fishing practices using cyanide and fine mesh nets, which are rampant in the area.

"I have been diving in these seas for a long time and I have seen how the corals have deteriorated through the years. Garbage is everywhere,” Balbuena said. “It dawned on us one day that since we have been diving for pleasure, why not dive for a deeper cause?"

His friends—Rod Arriola, Mikee Arnibal, Ivan Gultiano and Dennis Cortes—who also dive, joined him.

“We are a small-scale project. But any help, no matter how small, will go a long way. We do things quietly, efficiently and safely and we do it all for the love of nature,” said Balbuena.

Other divers heard about the cleanup, so Balbuena said more activities will be scheduled in the coming weeks.

Balbuena and his friends have been conducting an information drive in the community to raise awareness about the importance of coral reefs.

Coral reefs provide food and serve as habitat of fish and other marine organisms.

“We have to educate the people living near these dive sites because the reefs are their sources of livelihood as well. Before, these reefs were thriving with fish, but that isn't the case anymore,” said Balbuena.

"When I heard about the cleanup, I decided to join because it is a good way to give back. It is fun and also fulfilling. I dive because the world beneath the seas simply amazes me. If we don't take care of it, who will? And if we don't take care of it, where will we be diving in the future?" asked rescue diver Meg Duterte, who dives almost every weekend in Mactan.

“We hope more can join us in future activities. I am looking forward to the next cleanup in Catmon. We pay a small amount and the proceeds will go to the information campaign for the fisherfolk,” added Duterte.

Back
Top Bottom