diver with a beard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NIdhoggr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just did Silfra, it was amazing. I shaved my beard off hours before the dive. I want to dive and I dont want to look like a babyface. need advice

I've never had a problem with my beard in scuba, just my mustache causing a leak in my mask. To remedy that I trim my mustache a bit at the top between my nose and my lip. It takes a bit of practice to getit right but even just trying helps enough to make it comfortable.
BTW welcome to SB

What he said!

Just trim a little below your nose.

Try Vaseline smeared in your beard below your nose and learn how to mask clear really well. Although my buddy doesn't seem to have any problems - he's been doing it for years.
Get a gel, not a lotion. I think he uses this: Vaseline Lip Therapy

i also trimmed under my nose when i had mine. It helped but I do better w/o the beard.

Wear your beard with pride and use a hood if it's too long and in the way of your back-up or floating in your face. Don't destroy your man mane for the sake of a simple remedy. If my mask leaks, I clear it more often, but it's not really an issue for me as I do not have a thick bushy mustache.

I dont really have a beard I just don't shave for 8 months at a time. Never any problems with the beard and since I use a 10 year old cressi focus no problems with the moustache either. The right mask won't leak.

I don't know. Maybe 30 years ago I was diving with ZZTop and we just tucked our beards into our wetsuit collars, no problems at all. Just had to rinse 'em out good to get that day-old-rotting algae smell out of them after.

Bearded diver here. A thin line right under the nose takes care of most of it. That and plenty of mask clearing practice. A decent low volume mask will make clearing no more an inconvenience than grabbing your nose to clear your ears.

I trim my mustache slightly below my nose, and then apply food grade silicone to the stache. I used to use Vaseline, but my DM during my OW suggested that it will eventually destroy my mask because it's petroleum based. Since using the silicone, I've had no problems with leaking. I'm careful to not get any of the silicon on the lens and clean it well at the end of the day.
G
https://www.amazon.com/Grade-O-ring...sr=8-4&keywords=food+grade+silicone+lubricant

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom