Diver weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have to cram several different weights into a pocket to get the exact right amount, soft weights tend to cram better. But hard weights are easier to put on a belt if you need to mix things up.

Shot packs by far, tend to mold to your personal profile, very easy to load/unload, and are much kinder to your BCD/BCD.
Not to mention being much kinder to your feet should you happen to drop one on a foot. While the weight is the same, the soft weights tend to transfer the force over a broader area.

From a crew standpoint I HATE SOFT WEIGHTS!!!!!

They leak little BBs all over the deck
I could see that being a problem on a charter with customers who may or may not take some care of the weights. I’ve been using soft weights since at least 1997. I’m pretty sure I still have some of the bean bags I bought back then, but have added more since then.

I store the weights inside. I dive mostly from my own boat, and can’t recall ever finding a BB outside of the bag on my boat.

I will finally replace the BC with a new one for Christmas

why keep us in suspense. what are you gonna get ? :)

why keep us in suspense. what are you gonna get ? :)
I dunno. I'll get gift certs. for Christmas and sort it all out at that time. Maybe on the new one I won't need that bungee cord to make sure it stays buckled up.....Anyone want to buy a used BCD?

Been using solid weights in my BCD for 15 years and never had a problem with a tear.

Solid weights 100%. Shot beanbag weights are awful. Hard weights can be threaded on a weight belt, easily tied to things, or used in lots of different ways. Soft weights corrode due to the higher surface area/self-abrasion and leave nasty lead chloride all over everything. You see cloudy white crap come out every time you wash them. Or worse, breathable dust. I don't want that stuff all over my gear, body, or the environment.

Hard weights last forever. Shot beanbags rip open.

The comment about hard weights damaging bcds is totally ridiculous, they're not sharp and bcd pockets are designed to hold weights.

Solid weights 100%. Shot beanbag weights are awful. Hard weights can be threaded on a weight belt, easily tied to things, or used in lots of different ways. Soft weights corrode due to the higher surface area/self-abrasion and leave nasty lead chloride all over everything. You see cloudy white crap come out every time you wash them. Or worse, breathable dust. I don't want that stuff all over my gear, body, or the environment.

Hard weights last forever. Shot beanbags rip open.

The comment about hard weights damaging bcds is totally ridiculous, they're not sharp and bcd pockets are designed to hold weights.

OTF,

Not ridiculous at all!

I met a diver on a charter a few years ago. He was diving with an SCR, Drager I think, grey/red integrated jacket, Pacific, off Seattle.

The rebreather was well loved, well used, well worn.

I asked him about the jean pockets he had stitched on the front. He advised that hard weights had totally destroyed the front inner weight pockets, and had worn holes through the front of the jacket.

He had re-stitched new inner weight pockets, and covered the holes in the front of the jacket with blue jean back pockets.

He also stated that, following the repairs, he started using shot pack weights.

I wear no weights, own no weights, so I can't speak from personal experience. My weights are back worn and slung, I receive breathing gas from them, much better than lead in any shape/form.

Rose.

Back
Top Bottom