Diver survives gator bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
yikes!

MyFox Tampa Bay | Diver survives gator bite

TAMPA - A man diving for golf balls at a New Tampa golf course was in good condition Saturday after a gator bit him on the arm.

It happened at the Tampa Palms Golf and Country Club around 4:30 p.m.

62-year-old Dwight Monreal was diving for golf balls out of a pond near the 13th hole of the course when a gator grabbed him by the arm.

Two nearby golfers rushed to help.

"This diver emerge from the water and started screaming help," said Matt Johnson.

"The man had actually dragged himself up to the bank, and had his arm in the water, and the gator was trying to drag him down," said Tarah McNaughton.

Johnson grabbed a golf club and tried to hit the gator

"They were struggling, and it's head kind of came up out of the water and its eyes opened," Johnson said.

The gator let the man go, and McNaughton drove the victim on her golf cart ten minutes away to the clubhouse.

"He just said, 'I'm in pain, I'm okay, I'm okay, but I'm in pain, just hurry up'," McNaughton said. Paramedics arrived and got Monreal out of his scuba gear.

His shoulder had been dislocated, and he suffered several puncture wounds to his left arm.

He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa.

A trapper was called in to find the gator, and eventually caught one.

But McNaughton and Johnson insisted it was the wrong gator; that the one that bit Monreal was much larger -- probably around 10 or 11 feet long.

The trapper said she would continue to look for a gator that more closely matched the description.

Monreal was in good condition at St. Joseph's Hospital, and was expected to be released Saturday night.

Better than the ********* that decided he would go for a 3.am skinny dip in a gators pond :shakehead:

Hrmmm, wonder what is wrong *********? okay, how about this, a person that was using crack....

Kinda surprising. I've had dozens of gator encounters in the Rainbow, Suwanee, and Santa Fe rivers in N. Florida (collecting fossils) and never experienced an aggressive behavior. Usually my bubbles scare 'em in the opposite direction. I do remember encountering a big one that appeared to be lying on the bottom digesting his meal, because he/she didn't move when I came up on it, but this was extremely unusual. Perhaps this golf ball hunter had encountered a gator that had been fed by humans and associated humans with a food source.

This morning on national television he stated that he knew the gator that was caught was not the same because he had severly gouged the eye of the offending gator with his thumb that prompted the release.

Right now, we're coming up on the start of gator mating season (May). Frisky behavior by these guys are going to be on the rise.

White gold baby....

I don't know how much they get per ball, but it's REALLY GOOD MONEY!!! Especially here in Florida. Interesting factoid... If we lined up all our fairways in FL end to end, it would reach the moon and back, then circle the earth once.

Thems alot of golf balls in dem there hills...Uh... Swamps. :)

People are always walking up to the gators that live in the pond behind my house (I'm on the fairway) and taking pics with them :shakehead: I am waiting for someone to turn, smile at the camera, and have half their butt missing :D

Something from CNN:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Misdirected this happens with bison in Yellowstone. Some turons walks up a little too close to get a picture. The bison snorts and the turon starts running with the bison in hot pursuit. In the end (pun intended), the bison rips the turon a new a-hole.

Bison 1 Toruns 0

Better than the ********* that decided he would go for a 3.am skinny dip in a gators pond :shakehead:

Hrmmm, wonder what is wrong *********? okay, how about this, a person that was using crack....

You have to wonder.....

The correct term for these folks are "touroids" not turons
Def: "A tourist that is a major pain in the A--"

Back
Top Bottom