Diver struck by boat off Sandy Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management announced that a man was struck by a boat while diving off the coast of Warwick. According to DEM in a post on social media on June 30, the diver had the required dive flag posted -- and now DEM is asking boaters to follow all safety regulations.

Well I'm glad they're doing that now! WTF we're they doing before nothing?

If there is any chance of a boat being in the area I'm diving I come up right under the flag. In my experience most boat handlers can't tell 50' from 50 flounders! Ask any weekend boat owner why they have red and green lights on their boat maybe 1 in 5 will know. There was a time when I didn't think a drivers license for boat operation was necessary but I've since changed my mind, there are just too many boats these days with ignoramuses' at the helm.

The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management announced that a man was struck by a boat while diving off the coast of Warwick. According to DEM in a post on social media on June 30, the diver had the required dive flag posted -- and now DEM is asking boaters to follow all safety regulations.

Well I'm glad they're doing that now! WTF we're they doing before nothing?

If there is any chance of a boat being in the area I'm diving I come up right under the flag. In my experience most boat handlers can't tell 50' from 50 flounders! Ask any weekend boat owner why they have red and green lights on their boat maybe 1 in 5 will know. There was a time when I didn't think a drivers license for boat operation was necessary but I've since changed my mind, there are just too many boats these days with ignoramuses' at the helm.
Are ignoramuses kin to covidiots?

Are ignoramuses kin to covidiots?

Could be but since there is no such word I don't know the definition.

Is a covidiot someone that thinks a mask will protect them when the people researching Covid-19 are wearing something a kin to spacesuits and the virus is many times smaller than any mask most people wear?

Or is a covidiot someone who thinks wearing a mask is silly in light of the above observation?

Could be but since there is no such word I don't know the definition.

Is a covidiot someone that thinks a mask will protect them when the people researching Covid-19 are wearing something a kin to spacesuits and the virus is many times smaller than any mask most people wear?

Or is a covidiot someone who thinks wearing a mask is silly in light of the above observation?

Some examples:

“If I get corona, I get corona. At the end of the day, I'm not gonna let it stop me from partying”.

“I have a first amendment right not to wear a mask.”

Anyone who believes a cloth mask that they wear will protect them is a Covidiot. The mask protects them by blocking droplets from others wearing a mask,

Ask any weekend boat owner why they have red and green lights on their boat maybe 1 in 5 will know.

Less

There was a time when I didn't think a drivers license for boat operation was necessary but I've since changed my mind, there are just too many boats these days with ignoramuses' at the helm.

I've been screaming this for a years.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole IMHO TowboatUS and Seatow have done nothing but allow stupid people to buy boats.

Inexperienced boat operators all around this time of year. On our lake I always come up under the flag and only after listening and looking around. It seems to attract boaters who come over to ask if what I am doing and what am I seeing. Pet peeves: speeding - small lake with 6 mph speed limit warm weather months - half seem to have no idea; Pontoon boats where operators let people, usually small children ride sitting on the bow, legs dangling down while underway (and usually speeding). Where will that passenger end up if they fall off. PFDs. forget about it. Current Registrations. Optional?

Some examples:

“If I get corona, I get corona. At the end of the day, I'm not gonna let it stop me from partying”.

“I have a first amendment right not to wear a mask.”

I don't get 1st amendment connection. Never the less my attitude at 66 years old is just that if I get I get I'm not going to let covid 19 run my life. I have never run or hid from danger in my life and I do not intend to start now. I am not so afraid of dying that I'm not going to living my life as I choose without endangering others.

So my policy is, where I am required to wear a shirt, shoes and a mask I wear a mask. Where I am not required to wear a mask I make my own judgment as to whether I will or won't wear a mask. I do this because I am a freeman and have the natural born right to make my own decisions for myself. That doesn't have a thing to do any amendment. Enjoy your Independence Day.

Less

I've been screaming this for a years.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole IMHO TowboatUS and Seatow have done nothing but allow stupid people to buy boats.

The USCG Aux had/still has a very good boating course. My wife and I took in 1981 we both passed and still have our cards. Every boat driver should be required to take that course if it still is available or something akin to it. Also the state should be kept out of it as much as possible the USCG should handle the nuts and bolts of it. Just a state DEM regulation requiring proof at time of boat registration and the operator must have it in possession when operating a boat.
Enforced by fines and refusal to register. Judging by how people operate cars it's probably futile anyway. Also let us not forget the..........................JET SKI! They use the dive flag as a slalom marker!

In Canada anyone who operates a motorized boat has to have a license but it's an on-line test and while thorough I doubt there is much retention in even the basic rules.

They oddly make an exception for boat rentals... any fool can rent a boat from a marina and be on their merry way with no licence and likely little instruction other than the basic operating procedures of the boat.

Even with our local permanently buoyed dive site we end up chasing boats and fishers out... even a float plane on one occasion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom